➳ chapter nine

Her heels clicked against the tile flooring as she followed a few feet behind Vincent. Only a few minutes ago, Vincent had vanished into the men's bathroom, the door swinging shut behind him, and when he didn't immediately come back out, she took it as a sign to follow suit. Behind her, Aaron breezed through the event, slipping over to different tables filled with appetizers, but even as he ate, she knew he had an eye on the bathroom door.

Astrid turned her head towards him in a brief nod before heading down the hallway. She ran a quick hand down the front of her dress, feeling the sheaths of her weapons to ensure they were still there, and before anyone could notice, she pushed open the door to the men's bathroom.

Vincent stood in front of the sinks, drying his hands off with a paper towel while Roberts stared sideways at him. At the sound of her footsteps, both men looked towards the door.

Roberts raised an eyebrow as he turned to face her. "Sweetheart, this is the men's bathroom. The women's bathroom is down the hall."

"Oh, really?" Astrid said, feigning innocence. "Jeez, I could've sworn this was the women's restroom."

"It's alright, Jack," Vincent said, tossing the paper towel into the trash. "She's with me."

Roberts whipped around towards Vincent. "I never told you my name."

"Don't worry, Jack Roberts," Astrid purred, letting her hand rest against her thigh. "We know all about you."

"Listen, I don't know what the fuck is going on here"—he stepped forward—"but I'm leaving."

She blocked the only available exit in the room, propping her shoulder against the door frame, even though he looked very willing to shove her out of the way. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. And to be completely honest? I'm not going to let you. Step back, or you will get hurt."

His eyes popped, and his jaw clenched, but he followed her orders.

"We just have a few questions, Jack," Vincent began, leaning against the wall beside the sink, his arms crossed. "We know that you work in Velaria Prison, and it is of our interest to know more about what's going on inside."

Roberts' former look of surprise dissolved into one of annoyance. His nasty scowl turned its head on Vincent, and she noticed his hands form fists at his side. "What makes you think I'm going to tell you anything?"

"Besides the fact that we could slit your throat right now and leave you to die here?" Astrid questioned. "Or maybe the fact that we know the exact bus your niece takes to school? It would be a terrible tragedy if she... didn't wind up arriving home one day."

Another piece to add to the chess board. Astrid had been reluctant to hold the life of his niece over his head, knowing that she would never harm her, but Theo had insisted on mentioning her.

"If you don't threaten the little girl," he'd said, "then he'll call the cops on you two. He'll tell them that you both threatened him, and then we're screwed. Warn him that his niece could die, and he'll keep our secret. Just to keep her alive."

"We're not laying a hand on her," she'd said if only to ascertain her own morals—and theirs.

"Of course not," Theo'd scoffed. "We're not monsters. But fear is a very powerful thing."

"You wouldn't dare," Roberts said, though his face had blanched.

"Bus 31," Vincent murmured, and with each word that came out of his mouth, the man grew paler, looking very much like he was about to faint. "It picks her up on Mulberry Road—"