➳ chapter eighteen

"You have to tell him," Aaron argued as the two climbed the stairs back up to his apartment. After leaving Roberts' apartment complex, they had made their way back to Aaron and Vincent's apartment building. It had been decided that they wouldn't hide their confrontation with Roberts from him, but neither seemed thrilled to tell Vince. "You've known him longer than I have, and you're basically together now."

"He'll hate me," Astrid whispered. It was what she'd anticipated before she'd even told Aaron at all, and while she'd prepared herself for what it would feel like to have Vince break her heart again, knowing that it was less than five minutes away from happening made her want to retrace her steps. "I wasn't meant to tell you. He should've been the one to."

"Hey," Aaron said, jumping up an extra step to match pace with her. "Even if he is mad, he'll get over it. It's you. He could never stay angry with you. And even if he does, you did the right thing. Vince couldn't see how destructive it was. He would've let himself continue to hurt until it destroyed him. You saved him, Astrid."

Hearing Aaron affirm her intentions made her heart warm, and that pinch in her stomach didn't ache as much. While she knew this would not be an easy conversation, she could handle it better knowing that she would never have to see Vince would another bruise or watch him limp around his apartment. Even if he never wanted to see her again after this, it would be worth it. He would be safe.

"I hope he sees it that way."

The two stepped out onto the correct floor, and Aaron led the path to Vincent's apartment. He rapped his knuckles against the door before letting himself in, and Astrid followed right behind him. Vincent sat on the couch, an old sitcom playing on the television in front of him. He looked over with a bright smile that dimmed instantly at the sight of their expressions.

Before either could say anything, Vincent looked between them, then let out a long sigh. "You told him?"

Aaron stepped forward. "Don't be mad at her for it," he said. "Listen, Vince, I want Nik back more than anyone, but you shouldn't have to hurt yourself in the process. We can find another way."

Vincent's shoulders slumped. He either wasn't in the mood to argue or he had come around to what Astrid had tried explaining to him a few days earlier. Like Aaron had mentioned earlier, it was different watching destruction happen from the outside. It was another thing entirely when it happened to you.

"S'okay," Aaron said when Vincent didn't respond. "I just want you to be okay. I'm sorry if this is upsetting, but we're only trying to help you."

"Aaron." Vincent spoke up for the first time since Aaron had started his tirade. He inclined his head towards the front door. "Do you mind giving Astrid and I the chance to talk? Alone?"

His mouth opened, but Astrid silenced him with a shake of her head. If Vincent was furious with her, then so be it. There would be nothing either could say to convince him otherwise. She'd told herself she'd deal with it, and she would.

"Yeah. Yeah." Aaron aimed for the front door, only looking back once in concern before the door fell shut behind him.

Vincent's gaze dropped to his lap. Astrid moved around the couch, used the remote control to mute the program, and settled into the spot beside Vincent, leaving a foot of space in between them. She turned on her side to face him, even though he never looked up in the time it had taken her to settle.

"Are you angry with me?" she murmured.

He sighed, the sound alone a painful mix of confusion and weary exhaustion. "I'm upset," he said. "Not angry. I wish you hadn't told Aaron ... but I understand why you did it." His palms opened in front of him, facing upward. "I knew there was a chance you would tell someone when I explained to you what was going on."