Opening lines

This already the fourth chapter, and it's time to meet new people. Tell me what you think of them?

The dedication, because Lessons On Love was a great book.

Happy reading! :)

Chapter 4 – Opening lines

Last time I made new friends was when I met Madison. Along came the others, who I didn’t really consider friends. I had had a close friend, though. We had been inseparable, but he screwed up. The fact is, he decided to hurt someone he didn’t know, and he justified his actions by saying he had done it for me.

I didn’t need my best friend to hurt the girl I loved just because the biggest jerk in school was into her. I didn’t need my best friend to lie to me, to her, and all her friends, and to top it off, blame it on me. I hadn’t asked for him to do it. I hadn’t asked for anything. I didn’t ask him to leave, but the irony is, he had to leave because of his parents.

And that was fine by me. That meant I didn’t have to forgive, nor apologize. And I sure as hell wasn’t going to do either of them.

We walk to the front desk to ask the lady with the glasses, but she turns out, she’s gone to have lunch.

“I hate how ironic life can sometimes be,” I sigh and lean against the desk with my back, and cross my arms.

“Sometimes?” Anton raises his eyebrow and looks at me, tilting his head. I bite my lip. Anton looks around, but there are no people walking these hallways. It seems like nobody’s here yet, or everyone has disappeared somewhere. “Let’s ask someone else, then.”

Since there is nothing else to do, I follow him outside. I’m trying to find a sign that reads ‘cafeteria’ with my eyes that I don’t notice Anton has stopped, so I crash into him, and apologize right away. He waves me off, his eyes fixated on someone at the fountain. I peek over his shoulder, then step aside and come to stand next to him. There is a girl sitting by the water, a reddish brown guitar in her lap, over her crossed legs, there is something painted on the guitar. Her auburn hair is up in a lazy ponytail, her eyes closed.

“Is it love at first sight?” I tease him, smirking. Anton lips are curved into a smile and he shakes his head slightly.

“Shh,” he whispers, and closes his eyes. “She’s singing.” And if you block out the other people talking, not that there are a lot of them, and block out the wind and the rustling of the leaves, and a few birds chirping, you can hear the girl hum something, but barely.

Anton snaps his eyes open, holding his index finger as to stop me from moving. “This can’t be any cheesy ‘what are you playing’ or ‘oh, I like your voice’,” he shakes his head, an amazed look on his face. “This has to be pure gold of genius.” He rubs his temple. “I’m thinking dark, possibly a party, I’m thinking sophistication, probably involving books, and most importantly, I’m thinking stalking.”

I’m a little confused. “You want to stalk her in the dark while carrying a book with you?” I ask, adding it all together. I put my hand on his shoulder and snort. “Dude, I don’t think that’s going to seduce her. It might seduce some officers, who might give you a restraining order.”

He pats the back of my hand. “It won’t be me doing the stalking,” and then he turns his head to look at me. “But it will be me with the book. Yeah, I bring the sophistication back.” He nods as if to assure himself in this whole crazy plan, which is a) probably going to fail, b) I don’t have any idea what he’s talking about, so the best thing to do is c) I’m going to walk straight to that girl, and ask her what song she’s playing.