Chapter 1

"So this is the end, isn't it, Momo-chan? I honestly can't believe that everything we've built up together with all the others will be gone forever after tonight...I'm conflicted as to whether or not I should be drowning in my sorrows or outraged that all the blood, sweat, and tears we've poured into this game will be all for naught."

"I have to agree with you, Lucifiel. Even though all the others have moved on, I still would have preferred Nazarick to still be standing strong even in their absence. For this place, this guild which we have all bled for to protect, to carry on..."

Ainz Ooal Gown, one of the top guilds in the most popular DMMORPG, YGGDRASIL, was notorious for the most difficult dungeon that no one has ever been able to conquer, the Great Tomb of Nazarick and its possession of the most world items. Its members were comprised of heteromorphic races only, a requirement of the guild, which they strictly enforced.

Of its 41 members, only 2 had stayed until the very end.

All the other guildmembers had steadily left the world of YGGDRASIL and Nazarick one by one, leaving only their guild master and his right-hand man to care for the tomb.

In another world, Momonga had been the only one to stay with Nazarick until the very end, but this was not that world. Momonga is not the main character of this story because Satoru Suzuki cannot afford to stay until the shutdown.

However, Lucifiel the Fallen One can and will.

The fell dragon had been there when the guild was first created as one of the Original Nine, and gods be damned if she wouldn't be one of the last to leave.

"I'm so sorry I can't stay until the shutdown. If I hadn't gotten sick and had to take those days off, then I wouldn't have to catch up on so much work."

Had your avatars been capable of making facial expressions, then you'd have sent the lich a sympathetic smile. Sadly, all you were capable of was sending emoticons to one another.

"It's alright, Momo-chan. I'm already more than grateful that you're even here now despite having so much work. Don't forget to take care of yourself and rest, okay? We don't want you getting sick again."

Despite not having met outside of the game, you considered Suzuki Satoru one of your closest, if not your closest, friend both in-game and in real life. You'd think that after 12 years of playing together and becoming close that you'd both finally deign to meet each other, but neither of you had felt the need to do so. Why would you when the world of YGGDRASIL was already better than any place in reality? A place where you could all leave your mundane lives and actually do something great and be someone?

It's no surprise that you did harbor a smidge of affection that surpassed the kind friends would have for each other for Suzuki. You couldn't call it love, not yet but it could get there given time. How could you not start falling for your friend when he'd been with you from the early days of the game and is still you even now when all the others had abandoned Nazarick? Had abandoned Ainz Ooal Gown? Had abandoned...you?

As much as you appreciated Suzuki's loyalty and wanted him to stay with you, however, the last thing you wanted was for him to suddenly keel over while working because he'd spent another late night playing. It was ironic how he worried so much about you and everyone else and yet failed to monitor and care for himself. This is why you'd appointed yourself as his caretaker of sorts, reminding him to eat, sleep, rest, and just generally take care of himself because god knows that he's incompetent with that.

"Thank you again for those amazing 12 years, Lucifiel. YGGDRASIL wouldn't have been as fun, and Ainz Ooal Gown wouldn't have been as great without you, I hope you know that..."

For once, you were thankful that the game couldn't emulate emotions at all, or else Momonga would have noticed your clear embarrassment at his words.

"...If you ever have time...would you perhaps like to meet up sometime? In real life, I mean. It's almost embarrassing how we've known each other for so long but never met each other outside the game, hahaha..."

"Be still, my heart," You repeated in your head as you floundered to answer him immediately, knowing how precious time was at the moment. "O-Of course I would love to, Momo-chan! You don't even have to ask!"

A smiling emoji was sent your way by the elder lich.

"Then let's make plans through email later. Anyhow, I have to go now. It was great playing with you, Lucifiel. Let's make sure that the next time we meet, it will be in real life."

With that, the guild master of Ainz Ooal Gown logged out for the last time.

"Thank you for all your hard work, Suzuki-kun."

Your words were met with silence, making you realize that you were truly the last of your guild to stay.

Anger, resentment, and sorrow bubbled within you as you tried not to think badly of any of your former guild mates, but it was difficult when you knew they all willingly left Nazarick. They all chose their respective mundane and perhaps even mediocre lives instead.

Unwilling to let your last minutes in YGGDRASIL be spent resenting the people you'd once proudly called your teammates, you opted to get out of your seat and out of the conference room.

However, the glinting staff of Ainz Ooal Gown caught your eye as you were about to exit. The golden snakes at the top with their jewels glinted in the light, seemingly urging you to wield the mighty scepter.

As the last of the 41, you felt it was only right of you to take the staff for your own, seeing as, after midnight, Nazarick would be no more. You were a part of the original nine and the right-hand of the guild master as well, so if anyone had the right to wield it then it could only be you.

"You're too beautiful to be left all alone here. Even just for this first and last time...you will be mine and mine alone."

While you accepted the fact that the staff was the culmination of the efforts of every member of the guild, you honestly thought that it was a waste just to hide the staff and not let anyone use it. What's the point of creating one of the most powerful weapons in YGGDRASIL when you weren't even going to use it?

Although you couldn't really feel the staff, you felt complete as you sauntered out of the room with it in your hands. The familiar halls of Nazarick greeted you on your way to the throne room, the chandeliers bathed everything in an almost eerie glow, yet you felt completely at home.

Passing by the head butler and Pleiades, you had no second thoughts about moving them from their positions as they guarded the entrance to the throne room, having them follow you inside. Nor did you think about the reactions and complaints the others might have, knowing that you did as you pleased without consulting them first. You had no qualms about changing Albedo's settings and removing the last line of code, and adding something else. As far as you were concerned, they lost the right to care about the happenings within the guild when they decided to abandon it.

As you sat on the obsidian throne with the NPCs kneeling before you, it was then that you felt truly abandoned by the ones to whom you'd have once entrusted your life.

That old saying was right.

It was lonely at the top.

23:59:55

Maybe after this, you should try out that new DMMORPG everyone's crazy about these days.

23:59:56

Perhaps you could even talk Suzuki into playing it with you!

23:59:57

Even if all the others are gone...at least Suzuki is still there, and he wouldn't leave you...right?

23:59:58

23:59:59

00:00:00

.

.

.

.

.

00:00:01

00:00:02

00:00:03

00:00:04

"What the hell?"

What's Mine Is Mine (Overlord X Reader)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें