Newt │Take Me Home

(WARNING: mentions of self-harm!!!!)

Y/N p.o.v.

It was late at night when I decided to take a look at Newt. During this day I had seen him perish from some sort of pain, yet I don't know where the pain came from. He went to bed early, which he never does when there is a bonfire, and didn't let anyone talk to him. He just sat there against a tree trunk with a glass of Gally's drink. 

"Guys, I'm gonna go to bed," I told Alby, Minho and Thomas who I've been hanging out with for the past hour. They were talking about something but didn't hear about what. Not that I care. I care about Newt's well-being. 

"Goodnight, Y/N," Alby said and I nodded thankfully before I waved at Thomas and Minho. I stood up and walked away to the homestead where Alby's, Newt's and my rooms where. The others slept in a hammock. 

I opened the door to my room and grabbed one of the spare First Aid kits so I could treat his wounds if necessary. Newt's room was next to mine so I walked over to his and listened by the door to be sure he was already asleep. I heard a regular breathing pattern which told me he was asleep. As quietly as possible I opened his door and closed it behind me. I saw him laying in his bed, shirtless and his arm wrapped in pieces of cloth. My eyebrows furrowed as I saw that. So he actually had physical pain. 

I walked over to his bed and sat down on the side. His hair was messily spread over his forehead and the pillow, which looked really cute, and his other arm was clutching the hurt arm. He looked so broken yet so strong. 

My hands opened the First Aid kit and placed it on my lap without my eyes leaving Newt. I carefully moved on to his arm. As gently as possible, I moved his good arm to his side and tried to unwrap the cloth around his arm. As more layers got off, the more blood I saw on the cloth. This is not good. 

Once I unwrapped it all I saw a huge line across his arm, covered in dark, dried blood. How did he manage to do this to his arm? A few options floated around in my busy brain but I didn't pay much attention to it as I was trying to clean his wound. 

When I was almost done an idea popped up in my head. Was there a possibility he did this to himself? I know how he got his limb but I thought that state of his mind was gone. He couldn't, right? As I realized that I pushed the piece of cloth where I was cleaning his wound with a little too hard on his wound which made him scream in pain and wake up. 

"Y/N, wha-How do yo-," He tried to ask confused as he sat up and saw that I was cleaning his wound. He pulled his arm back and held it against his chest. We stared at each other for a few seconds with a broken look all over our faces before I looked down at the First Aid kit. When I looked back up I saw that his wound was bleeding again. I grabbed his hand and placed it on my knees. "Y/N, you don't hav-," He began but I sushed him and started cleaning his wound again. 

"What did you do to create this sort of damage?" I asked, trying to hold my tears back. It broke me to know that Newt wasn't happy. He's always trying so hard to fix the others that he's too busy trying to fix himself. 

"It's not what it looks like," Newt whispered and I looked up at him.

"Then what is it?" Tears started to well up in my eyes and I think he noticed because his face softened and his mouth opened slightly. 

"Okay fine, it is what it looks like," He confessed and my hand started to tremble while I was smearing ointment over the wound. He hissed in pain but didn't pull his arm away. "Y/N? Y/N, please say something," 

"What do you want me to say? That I want you to stop doing it? Because I think you already know that," I spoke up with a trembling voice. "I just want to know why," I said then as I was wrapping his arm in a bandage. 

"I can't live with this place, I hate it here," He spoke softly as I placed his wrapped up arm on his lap. "We're stuck in this place surrounded by a maze full of grievers and we'll be here forever," 

"No, Newt, you can't think like that. You can't lose hope," I told him and I grabbed his other hand. "We will find a way out and we will never go back to this place. I promise,"He looked from our entwined hand to me. 

"Are you sure?"

"Positive,"

As soon as those words left my mouth, Newt pulled me into his embrace. I felt him kiss the top of my head as he whispered a few 'thank you's'. When we pulled back we stared in each other's eyes before his gaze flickered to my lips and back at my eyes. I nodded and once he got the message he crashed his lips onto mine. I felt his good arm around my middle and his hurt arm resting on my lap. My arms found their way around his neck and I pulled him closer while we kissed and kissed and kissed for what feels a really long time. 

We didn't stop until we heard the door open on the other side of the room and we saw Minho and Alby in the doorframe. 

"Did our ship just sail?"