Chapter 22

The next morning at breakfast i had a suprise waiting for me. A howler. Everyone noticed it immediatly and waited for me to open it. I mentally prepared myself. After some time the envelope opened and i heard my fathers voice.

"IF YOU THINK THAT IT IS OKAY TO DO WHAT YOU DID YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN! IF YOU THINK THAT IT IS OKAY TO HEX YOUR OWN FATHER, JUST WAIT TO SEE WHAT I HAVE IN STORE FOR YOU YOUNG LADY! This winter break you will come STRAIGHT HOME!" the letter then shredded itslef and landed in a pile in front of me. Everyone was staring at me.

I pushed the pieces away and continued eating my breakfast acting as if i didn't care and that i was used to it. But i wasn't. I had never heard my father that angry and i didn't want to see what he had in store for me. Severus looked at me from across the dining hall at the Slytherin table and lipped,

"Are you okay?" i shrugged. But he could read my face like an open book and knew that i was not okay.

Finally breakfast ended and McGonagall came and handed our schedules out. When she handed me mine she gave me an encouraging smile. Over the years she had realised i wasn't as awful as everyone assumed i was. I had Defense Against the Dark Arts first, supposably there was a new teacher, his name was Professor Qwaty. Gryffindor shared that class with Slytherin so i was happy to see Severus.

"Hey," he said walking over to me. "You okay?" he asked for the second time.

"He's angry,"

"I noticed. But isn't he always like this? You know.. Scary with his dark arts and all?"

"No... This was worse than usual. Usually he would just write a simple letter and then be done with it maybe a hex or two,"

"Didn't he send you a howler in our 1st year?"

"Yeah, but that's because i dishonored the family name by being the first in Gryffindor,"

"And what did he do then?" i flinched remembering what he did when i came home that winter break.

"Let's just say there was a lot of hex's thrown at me,"

"Did you defend yourself?"

"I didn't know anything then and i definitly wasn't as brave,"

"Are you gonna fight back this time?"

"Probably not," i said. "If i fight back it's just gonna make things worse. I'll probably endure the hexing and jinxing and come back with a scar or two," Severus nodded.

"I would say come over my house for winter break and make up an excuse but my house isn't any better," i nodded. That's another reason why me and Severus got along so well. We both had similar home lives. Our parents would "hurt" us if we did something wrong. Kinda sucked. Unlike Severus though i loved coming back to Hogwarts, that was were i was free and felt more like myself. Severus just felt trapped.

"Anyway, i heard this new defense against the dark arts teacher is a death eater,"

"He is, i've heard his name mentioned at Voldemorts get togethers,"

"Good or bad?"

"Well... Voldemort says that he's good for torturing muggle borns,"

"Well that's not to good," before i could answer a man about two inches taller than myself walked out and told us to go in. Just by hearing him say 'enter' i could tell he was stern. Then again most death eaters were.

Severus and I were the first ones to walk in so we were able to get the seats in the back of the room. As more and more people pilled in they looked around the room. The defense against the dark arts room was always dark because the lamps at the sides of the walls never reached the center of the room; but for some reason it felt darker and colder than usual.