Miraculous Savior

Waves of pain crashed through his body. Nico felt like he was being stabbed, burned, and broken at the same time. He struggled, trying to shadow travel away, but it hurt too much to concentrate. The teen angrily bit his lip, willing himself not to scream in front of the horrible woman keeping him captive.

But he'd already been under the Cruciatus for half an hour.

A cry erupted from his lips, only earning Nico a sickly smile from Umbridge.

Finally, Umbridge released him from the spell, though still keeping him in the restraints. Nico lurched forward and gasped, opening his mouth to spout derogatory comments at the filthy pink creature in front of him. But Umbridge held a stubby finger to his lips.

"Now, now, be quiet. You've got a visitor."

The lock on the door clicked open. A dark figure coated in shadows glided in with a tinkling laugh.

"Oh, let the boy speak. It'll be the last time he does so freely, after all. Now, Dolores, would you be so kind to leave me and my lovely brother alone? We need to have a chat."

Umbridge smiled sweetly. "Of course." She left, with a new skip to her step. Apparently, the woman got a huge rush from torturing people.

Nico, regaining his breath, tried to shadow travel away, only to find himself blocked by an invisible force in the darkness. The woman in front of him laughed again.

"You cannot use the shadows, my brother. At least, not in my presence." The thick waves of darkness that wrapped around her dissipated. Nico sucked in a breath.

In front of him stood a goddess - one who might once have been beautiful, but was now horribly disfigured. Burned and shriveled skin covered her arms. She wore a mask that radiated intimidation and fear. Dark, midnight black wings sprouted from her shoulder blades. Her right hand was was the most terrifying of all; it was made of pure celestial bronze, with sharp claws glinting wickedly in the darkness.

This was the goddess Mesperyian; goddess torture and punishment - daughter of Persephone and Hades.

His half sister.

"Mesperyian. What... what are you - "

"Doing here?" Mesperyian raised an eyebrow. Her mask copied her movement. "Why, just having a little fun, of course. Maybe join up with Riddle... there are so many possibilities for pain in the Wizarding World, you know. But most of all, you're here. I get to hurt you."

"Uh, huh." Nico glared up at her, trying to hide his fear. "And how will you keep me from telling dad? He's the one who sent me here in the first place to -"

"Yes, yes, to kill Tom Riddle. I know. So what?" She smiled sadistically. "I've got the perfect accessory to stop that."

There was a click, and Nico felt a cool metal band slide around his neck.

A collar.

His eyes widened. "No."

"Oh, yes." The goddess laughed and flicked her fingers. Suddenly, the metal contracted and began to burn. Nico screamed. "This is the perfect way to keep your silence. But also -"

She released him and waved her hand. A glimmering image showed Hazel in a spherical cage made of thorns, trying to punch her way out of it. "I intercepted this lovely girl while she was traveling through one of my servants' inventions. Recognize her?"

"Hazel!" Nico turned to the goddess. His resolve crumbled. "No, please. I'll do whatever you want, let her go!"

"Of course not. She's my only bargaining chip." Mesperyian leaned down, grinning cruelly. "For this will make you come down here every day for the rest of the year to be tortured by my dear friend Umbridge. And if I visit, and request something of you, you will do it. And you will do whatever I want - or both you and your sister will pay. Am I clear?"