Return To Truth

Nico stared at the scene in disbelief. This was Hestia's plan to replace the reward ceremony? Oh, for the love of Hades...

He was seated at a long table that had been set up in the throne room. Most of the Olympian gods were there as well (shrunk to human size), along with their demigod children. Naturally, chaos had erupted immediately when they found out what was going on.

Apparently, they were having a family dinner.

And from Nico's experience with family dinners in the underworld...

This wasn't going to end well - at best, only the throne room would be destroyed. At worst?

Everything on Olympus would go up in flames, and Nico would not survive the night.

(So... maybe that was a bit dramatic. But he knew it could full well happen, and Nico wasn't about to take any chances - not after the day he'd had.)

Already, most of the gods were arguing (read: screaming and hurling random weapons at each other) while their children secretly drew up escape plans.

"What do you mean," Aphrodite shouted at Athena, "You don't ship Percabeth?! What is wrong with you?!" A pink glittery fork flew from her hand... and missed. Epically. Nevertheless, Aphrodite continued her rant. "Even - even Poseidon ships it, how can you not?!"

Athena glowered. "My daughter deserves better than that insolent sea scum. Don't you agree, Annabeth?"

"Uh..." For once in her life, Annabeth was at a loss of words. She looked to Percy for help, unsure how to answer without being blown to ashes by either her own mother, or her boyfriend's father. But said boyfriend was as clueless as always, blanking looking from Athena to Poseidon with a bewildered expression on his face.

Fortunately, a giant explosion interrupted the argument before anyone died. As Nico blinked the spots out of his eyes, the blinding light slowly cleared away and revealed Zeus in all his tunic-clad glory.

"Hestia, you are an idiot." He declared, upon seeing what lay before him.

"Hey," Percy muttered, "It's you who appointed her to replace the ceremony in the first place."

Zeus snapped his head down, glowering in suspicion. "What was that, Perseus Jackson?"

"Nothing." Percy smirked. Nico wanted to smack him for being so bold.

Tense silence raged between the two for a moment, Percy grinning infuriatingly and Zeus glaring, infuriated. He seemed to be deliberating whether or not blasting Percy to bits was worth it. Finally he turned, and walked stiffly to the head of the table... then promptly began a new glaring contest with Hephaestus.

"Awk-ward," Jason whispered. The other demigods nodded in agreement.

Hestia sat next to her brother, unperturbed by all the drama unfolding around her. With a serene smile on her face, she began to speak. "Alright... everyone has arrived, yes?" When they all nodded silently, she continued. "Then, let's feast!"

Hestia clapped her hands, and a whirlwind of nature spirits bustled in, bringing forth a mix of traditional Ancient Greek cuisine and modern day delicacies. They heaped platter after platter of food onto the table, the wonderful aroma making Nico's mouth water.

All awkwardness forgotten, both demigod and god alike dug into the delicious food. For an entire minute, only the the sounds of utensils scraping against plates and greedy chewing could be heard.

The temporary peace, sadly, did not last.

Poseidon frowned down at his catfish in annoyance. "Too bland," he mumbled under his breath, breaking the silence and looking up. "Percy," he said to his son, "will you pass the salt?"