Chapter 14 - [The Kiss]

Nerina sat on the deck of the Eternal quietly as she looked at the alcohol in her hand. Remembering her last experience from drinking too much, she made sure she kept under control.

She had spent the last few days having too much fun with her Pirate friends. She had never felt so free in her life…

This thought brought forth the thought of her family. She wondered if they were thinking of her right now.

Were the looking for her?

Did they even care?

She hadn’t thought of them much since she left them, but now that she did, she realized that she missed her brother the most.

She wondered if he was enjoying himself with his wife right now. She hoped with all her heart that he was happy.

She then thought of her father. She missed his warm hugs and knowing that he would always take her side.

And then there was her mother. She was surprised when she felt the sadness when she thought of her mother. I guess I miss her too. She thought.

She wondered if they would ever accept the way she was now. Almost as instantly as the thought came into her head, she looked at herself.

She was glad that she was no longer wearing her expensive gown that her mother threw onto her to impress Prince Dale. Instead she was wearing the trousers that the Captain had given to her earlier and a white shirt that had its bottom ripped off, showing most of her midriff.

And she wasn’t even wearing her corset. Of course, she felt a little strange… but she never knew how good it felt to not wear a corset until she felt the breeze blow through her shirt.

She felt free.

Her hair was probably the worst part of this getup. It was out and looked as if she had just woken up and gotten out of bed.

She let out a small laugh.

No, they would never accept her like this.

And Nerina never wanted to return to living under her demanding mother.

She sighed as she got up and looked out at the sea. She looked hard, wondering if she could see her home from here, but couldn’t see any land other than Pirates Isle, where the ship still sat waiting for its crew.

She turned to sit back down, but suddenly heard splashes.

Turning back around, she peeked over the railing of the ship. Her eyes widened when she saw what she never thought she would see.

Mermaids.

They swam towards her, giggling and calling her.

Mermaids? She thought. How could they be so brave to come this close to the shore?

She remembered Richard telling her that the mermaids often tried their best to stay away from the shore, since it’s easier for the humans to catch them when they are near.

But that thought was quickly pushed out of her mind.

They were so beautiful.

She had always dreamed to look as beautiful as these mermaids were. With shining skin, lovely eyes, silky hair.

“You must be Nerina of Caspian.”

She didn’t know which one of them spoke, but she nodded her head.

“Why don’t you swim with us?” Another asked.

Nerina surprised herself by looking down, calculating how far of a jump it would be to the bottom. It was too far. “I can’t.” She said.