82

"stanley?"

bill is confused as to why his ex is standing at his door, hands shoved in his pocket, curls dropping across his forehead and a shy smile on his face.

"hey," stanley says slowly, but then he pauses when he notices the lack of their friends in the dorm room. "where is everyone?"

"i, um," bill is trying to articulate a proper sentence with little success. "i had to cancel last minute. i had a dumb project to do."

"oh," stanley's eyes flash with something strange and he shrugs. "i can go, if you want. sorry about that-"

"no, no," bill offers a smile, pulling the door open wider for him to join him in his room. "i just finished for the night. you can stay."

"i'm just..." stanley looks confused. "i'm not sure why i didn't know you cancelled."

"you don't check the groupchat," bill says, and it's true, and stanley's lips rise at the corners.

"true," stanley pulls out his phone, scrolling through the messages from the chat that he'd left on mute. "oh, i'm sorry, i never checked my phone.. i was in the library and then headed right over."

"yeah, it's not a problem," bill says, and he's about to say something else when stan's eyebrows furrow at a message on the screen and he interrupts.

"you went on a date?"