1 - Surroundings

~August 24th, 2018. Friday.~

I rubber my nose furiously, trying to get rid of an annoying itch. A mild cold had likely set in and I sighed in defeat.

Why did my parents insist on sending me to private school, when I didn't even care about my grades?

Letting my head fall to the wooden desk I was sitting at, I continued sketching random images that popped up in my mind.

As the teacher droned on about angles and formulas, my need to do something with my mouth grew stronger.

One of the many cons of smoking, I constantly needed the buzz of nicotine to avoid the monstrous headache that withdrawal brought.

Normally, I could distract myself with drawing, but for some reason it didn't work this time.

Getting frustrated, I started clicking my pen loudly, feeling eyes all over my back, burning holes right through me.

I squirmed in my seat when I turned and noticed him staring, the only person who approved of my addiction. Someone who even joined in.

Still running my nose furiously, I tried to divert my attention to my surroundings.

I was pretty much in the back of the classroom, only one row ahead.

To my right sat Jay, my smoking buddy and my worst influence.

I didn't have any other friends, mostly because I had never gotten along with many people.

The teacher stood at the front, looking ridiculously cliché in her pressed uniform and glasses, even holding a pointer and books.

I snorted, my superiority complex peeking out a little. What a simple person.

Written on the blackboard behind her was a series of formulas, diagrams and other pointless information, all being forced into our heads.

I wanted to do something.

Absently playing with my necklace, I gripped Jay's hand tighter. He knew how hard it was to sit through these lessons.