Chapter 27

Lucille sat on the edge of the bed, remote in hand, flipping through the channels on the dingy old box TV. Nearly all of the 100 channels were a fuzzy mess. A few had some visible picture hiding amongst the mess, but only a small handful were actually watchable. For such a nice hotel, they were lacking in the television department. Of the four or so watchable channels, three were airing the six 'o' clock news from different TV stations.

She stopped on one and immediately felt that warm sense of familiarity again when she saw the bright, cheery face of the blonde-haired newscaster. Isla Kelly had been one of the main local newscasters for ages. Lucille fondly remembered watching her in the morning on snowy days throughout school life, hoping that she would report that Lucille's school had been one to cancel on that day. Isla always seemed to be pleased to report a school closure, perhaps sharing the joy with all the children watching.

Meanwhile, Aleron was laying back and watching the TV with masked fascination. He knew that humans had a vast array of technology, many like this one, but to see it in action was something else. To have a box made of glass, plastic, and metal, projecting an image of a room and the people inside it was innovative. Humans could do so much even though they lacked the higher powers that demons and other beings possessed.

"In other news, nineteen year old girl, Lucille Harper is still missing two months later..."

Two months? Lucille thought incredulously. Could it have really been that long? She leaned forward, moving herself closer to the TV.

"Upon investigating her apartment, evidence of a male presence was found, but due to abnormalities discovered in DNA testing, authorities will be doing further research. Her parents—"

"Lucille, why don't you shut that off? You don't have to watch this."

She glanced back at him. He was still undressed, not at all concerned about the approaching darkness.

"I want to watch it, though. I am curious... and I kind of want to see my parents on TV, if possible."

Isla introduced the press conference her parents had done just that morning. Being a small time news station, they didn't air the entire conference, just snippets including the most vital parts.

Her mother stood, teary-eyed, next to her father, who had a stone-cold, dire expression on his face. Both of them looked as though they had aged ten years since she had last seen them a few months ago. The first stab of guilt pierced her chest before they even had a chance to speak.

Listening to her mom sob her way through her plea to bring her daughter home just drove that home. It made Lucille's chest tighten and her eyes grow wet. Watching it wasn't easy. But when her dad spoke and his normally serious, friendly voice cracked with sorrow, it was like a fist grasped her heart and squeezed.

"Please just give us our daughter back, give us some closure—" He choked and put his face in his hands. "I'm sorry." He mumbled.

A strangled sob finally escaped from Lucille's throat. She felt Aleron shift on the bed behind her. He sidled up behind her, snaking his arm around her waist and reaching around with the other to free the remote from her tight grasp. After pressing a few different buttons, he eventually hit the power button and the TV turned off with a fuzzy click. He dropped the remote and pulled her against his chest, holding her close as she cried.

"It's okay Lucille, everything is going to be okay." Aleron rocked back and forth with her, stroking her hair, trying anything to console her.

"It's not going to be okay, I feel terrible!" She sobbed, holding on to the arm wrapped around her stomach. "It's all my fault that they are devastated. Just because I wanted to live in a new realm with someone I love, I ruined their lives."