Chapter 4 (edited)

The next couple of weeks went by and the days were getting chilly with the fall weather. This was my favorite time of the year. Where the leaves changed colors and all the shops decorated. Today's shift at Debs was later than usual. When I walked into the coffee shop, the place was buzzing with people all over. It was also my 21st birthday. To my surprise, all my co-workers that were working yelled Happy Birthday as a cake was shoved towards me to blow the candles out.

Matt was the first to hug me.

"Happy Birthday baby girl. I'll give you your gifts later."

"Thanks, Matty." I turned to everyone else and thanked them. Some gave me gifts, to which I told them they didn't need to, but I was thankful none the less. They were all considered family at this point.

A tradition at Deb's was if you worked on your birthday you had to wear a sash that said birthday boy or birthday girl along with a crown. It was silly, but everyone wore it with pride.

Since I was a crafty and creative person, Deb had me decorating the shop. On all the tables I had little centerpieces that consisted of miniature pumpkins with fall colored flowers and leaves. Sitting along our storefront window we have a long table for single sitters to watch outside. On that table I had a table runner, running along the center made out of leaves and acorns. For the windows and the door, I added some fall window clings.

Deb's was becoming busier by the hour. I had some people come up to me wishing me a happy birthday even if we didn't know each other. It made my day a lot better, it doesn't always matter about the big things in life, but rather the little things.

The final project I needed to do in the shop was designing the chalkboard and decorate the counter. As I was on the step ladder someone bumped into it and sent me falling to the floor. Matty was by my side in an instant.

"Baby girl are you okay?"

"Yea, I'm fine."

When I looked up to see who it was, I saw Bella standing next to Xavier. Bella was laughing and didn't look sorry at all, whereas Xavier held a blank look and didn't say a word.

Neither of them apologized so I let it go. I wasn't going to make a scene out of it. They have money and with money, you have power with their high statuses. Anything could happen if I argued with them. They could lie and turn the whole thing around on me. I would be burnt to the ground if I took action.

Matty helped me up and made sure I was okay once more before we both got back to work.

After finishing up the menu board, I started decorating the counter. Everything was looking good, we've gotten so many compliments on the store, I think it made my ego on decorating a little big. Once I was finished up with everything I was allowed to leave for the day. When I came out of the backroom, a delivery guy was standing at the register holding a bouquet of white Lillies.

"Are you the birthday girl?"

Confused how he knew it was me, I replied anyways.

"Yes."

With a wide smile, he said: "Well then these are for you. Happy Birthday."

In return, I gave the guy a warm smile and thanked him. There was a card but there wasn't a signature, all it said was happy birthday.

As soon as I got home, I put the flowers in water, then went and changed my clothes. I didn't have anything planned for my 21st, but be lazy. I wasn't the type that partied or went clubbing. I also didn't have the extra money to spend on useless things. Having a roof over my head and food to eat was more important.

No sooner I came out of my room there was a knock on my door. It couldn't be Matt because he was still at work. Opening the door, there stood another delivery man with a package.

"Hello, are you Miss Parker?"

"Yes."

"I just need your signature on this line."

I signed for the package and he handed it over to me and left. Again there was no return label. When I went back into the apartment, I opened the box to find a few items in there. Inside was a brand new DLSR camera that came with a memory card, a cookbook, a baking book, and a few baking items. There was only one person who could have sent me these and I wasn't sure why he did. I want to send them back because I want nothing from him. Why would he want to send me these when he wants nothing to do with me. He has a girlfriend he can spoil. Mystery man had to have been at the shop to know it was my birthday today. But then how did he know where I lived to have these gifts sent to my apartment? This was all confusing.

Abandoning the gifts on the table, I went and started dinner. As I was cooking I started thinking of how I was going to give back these things. He wasn't allowed to play with my heart then toss me aside, and then buy me gifts. I mean he has a girlfriend to buy for, not me. It infuriates me that he would do that but I guess what do you expect from a person with money.

I put my attention back to cooking dinner. Tonight I was making garlic butter steak bites with cheesy scalloped potatoes and corn. As the food was finishing up Matt came in with what I'm assuming is my gift and a bottle of white wine.

"There's the birthday girl. Heres your gift baby girl."

I took the bag from him and opened it up. Inside was 2 tickets along with VIP passes to see my favorite band, a couple of band t-shirts and a gift card to my favorite clothing store. I couldn't stop the tears that started flowing down my face. I ran and hugged him.

"Your the best Matt. Oh, and you're coming with me!" I demanded.

"Wouldn't have it any other way. I mean have you seen the lead singer of that band? Mhmm, hottie."

The rest of the night we did what we always do, eat dinner and watch movies. Matty also bought me a cake that we ended up sharing. Today was a good day minus the unexpected presents and of course the no phone call from my dad or sister. That was expected though, they were in their own little world of money for now. I'm not sure what will happen when they run out.

Today I didn't have work, actually the next two days I didn't. My apartment needed a few things, so I was planning on getting them. I've been saving money for this. I planned on buying some new bath towels. My old ones were worn down and started producing holes. They were the first items on my list. Next on the list were just little decor items that maybe I could find at the dollar store or on clearance. Anything that consisted of owls on it was what I was looking for. My obsession with owl decor was pretty big.

During my whole shopping trip, it felt like someone was watching me. Not so much in a creepy stalker way, but like they noticed me and just stared at me. I didn't let it bother me too much and kept shopping. By the time I left the store, I had spent $150 and still had ended up with $50 that I could put back into savings.

As I was leaving the store I caught a glimpse of Xavier leaving as well, but this time he was alone. I've been noticing him more and more. He's at my work more, or I see him at the store the same as me. Maybe it's just a coincidence. When we made eye contact, I swore I saw his lips twitch up to a smile, but I didn't look at him long. I mean he's a good looking man to stare at, but he has a girlfriend and me being lower class, they just never work out. Shaking my head to get rid of my thoughts, I went to my car and headed home. I needed to wash my towels and to place the decorations I bought.

As soon as I arrived home, I put some music on and got to work. I pulled out a few items I had for fall already and placed them around the house. It wasn't much, just a few small items for my tables and then some window clings I bought from the dollar store. By the time I got everything finished, I was exhausted and ready for bed.