Chapter 19 (edited)

I was sitting at Deb's, patiently waiting for Xavier to show up. The clock was ticking at a slow rate. Ten minutes went past, and he still never showed. I wasn't going to give up yet, maybe he had trouble sneaking around. Maybe he never received the message from Matt's phone. I kept trying to come up with every excuse I could think of for him.

Before I knew it, two hours have passed by, and he still never showed. Maybe he didn't want to see me like I thought he did. Maybe the letter was all a lie to keep me hooked onto him and crush me even more than what I was. The final straw was them getting married. I'd have no other choice but to move on.

With a heavy sigh, I got up from my spot and left the coffee shop. I think I was disappointed more in myself, waiting for so long to see if he would show up. I shouldn't be surprised that he didn't, but I was and it hurt.

You should have left after thirty minutes.

Trying to clear my head was a work in itself, even with taking my time to get home. The fifteen-minute walk was more like thirty minutes. Maybe if I start boxing things up in my apartment, it will help clear my head.

Four more days and I was moving into my house. It was a surreal feeling to be able to call it a home and a forever home at that.

This was my new start. It wouldn't get me away from Xavier since I worked for him, but we ignored each other anyways. Once I'm settled in at home, maybe I can find a new job. Something that pays about the same or more. It'll be for the best

--------------

Today was moving day, and I was pretty excited. Everything was ready to be loaded up and moved to the new house. Matt took the day off today to help me, and I couldn't thank him enough for the help. We even had Rob helping us.

I wasn't ready for these two days to go by because Monday meant back to work. Back to acting like everything was okay, when in reality, it wasn't.

Within these four days, I never heard a word from Xavier, and I wasn't ready to face him. Was I suppose to go about my day like I didn't try to reach out to him?

Day's like today, I wish I never met him, then it wouldn't be a struggle to get over him. I tried so hard not to think about him while I loaded my things up, but that was a struggle.

Sighing, I forced myself to get back to work. There was a lot I needed to get done. I wasn't about to let the guys do it alone.

By noon, everything was almost loaded up in the truck I rented, but I was starving, and I knew Matt and Rob were as well.

"Hey, Matty, are you and Rob hungry?"

"Yeah."

"Want me to order pizza? I'm starving."

"Sounds good baby girl."

Taking time out, I ordered the pizza. While we waited, Matty and I caught up on events, while Rob played with Remy. Him and Rob were still going strong, and I couldn't be happier. Matt had a rough life, and he deserved to be happy.

Matty surprised me by accepting my offer to come live with me. So tomorrow him and Rob were moving some of his things over. Matty decided to take his time moving his things, as he still had a few more days left on his lease.

After we ate, we got back to work loading the last of my things, taking them over to the new house.

With only one thought in mind new year, new beginnings.

-----------------

Monday.

The day I return to work.

I can do this, I just need to act like I didn't wait two hours for him to show up.

Now that I lived a little further, I had to leave earlier than normal. What was nice, was my back door had a doggy door for Remy to go through. It'll work for now, but once he gets bigger I'll have to let him out. The only thing I needed to do was make sure he had enough food and water for the day.

We both got settled into the new house pretty quickly, and by next weekend, Matty will be joining us.

Double-checking to make sure I had everything, I locked up the house and headed for the office.

Thankfully, traffic wasn't busy, and I made it to the office with time to spare. I had to sit in my car and give myself a pep talk.

You can do this, Ava. Just go in, do your job, then go home. You got this.

Inhale, exhale, then go inside. Don't show weakness.

As I exited my car, I knew I had this in the bag. I could get through the day without a problem.

Walking in with my head held high, I made it to my desk and started my work. I had a ton of messages to check on the answering machine from people wanting to set up appointments with Mr. Black. His schedule was going to be booked for the next month with back to back meetings.

An hour into work, the elevator ding went off, I tried not to look, but I had to see if it was him. A part of me was hoping it was him, I wanted him to see that I didn't need him.

The doors opened, and out he walked, in all his glory. I wanted him to look up at me, but he didn't. Not even a glance, it was like I didn't exist to him anymore, and that hurt. I made sure not to let it show throughout the day, just in case he comes out and happens to look at me.

I was so into my work that I never noticed when Xavier left his office or when Bella came upstairs. I guess that's what happens when you block everything out.

"Excuse me."

Looking up, Bella was standing right in front of me, glaring. Oops. She did not look happy.

"Sorry, Miss Bella. How may I help you?"

She then slammed some papers down on my desk. "Yes, give these to Xavier ASAP and tell him to sign them. If he does not get them, there will be hell to pay, Miss Parker."

After Bella's little threat, she was gone.

Someone needs a reality check.

Looking down at the papers, I took notice of the marriage license that he needed to sign. It was really happening, he was going to marry her. After everything he said, he was going through with it.

Not waiting around for Xavier to return, I went into his office and placed the papers where I knew he would see them. Right up against his computer screen.

Why did it feel like my heart just broke even more?

Because, you're in love.