Chapter 12 (edited)

The blaring sound of my alarm jolted me from my deep sleep, and I ended up startling Remy in the process. I didn't feel any better than I did last night, but there was no way I could miss work. It would look bad on my part with it only being my second week. Mr. Black would know I wasn't lying, but no one else would believe me. They'd assume I didn't want to work. Besides, it was a small head cold that I could handle. Stretching out my limbs, I got up and took Remy outside for his morning business before heading back inside to feed him.

Dragging myself to get ready seemed to be a struggle. I tried to hide the fact that my eyes were puffy, and my nose was red, but nothing was working. Makeup wouldn't even hide it.

Once I was finished getting ready, the sneezing started along with my nose dripping. Now I was going to have to keep a box of tissues with me all day. I was not looking forward to this today.

As I was making my way to the office, I couldn't stop sneezing. I wasn't sure if I'd make it all day, but I was going to try. The medicine I took this morning hasn't started working yet. Maybe on my lunch, I'll run down to the store and get a different type.

Sitting down at my desk, I turned on the desktop and set my tissues up on my desk. It was going to be a very long day.

The first thing I did was send Mr. Black all the notes I typed up from all the meetings on Friday. Then I went about setting his schedule for the week and answering phone calls. I just hope I don't sound as horrible as I feel over the phone.

At around 10 o'clock, Mr. Black showed up for work with a little pep in his step. Bella must be still around if he's this happy. As he was walking by my desk, he came to a sudden halt, then turned and looked at me.

"Miss Parker, are you okay?" His eyebrows were furrowed in, and he now had a frown on his face compared to what it just looked like when he came in.

"I'm fine, Mr. Black. It's just a little cold from being in the rain yesterday, nothing to worry about."

"If you're positive, Miss Parker, I will let you get on with your work." With a head nod, he continued to his office, but that frown never left his handsome face. Okay, I should not be thinking about my boss like that. This cold is making me crazy.

Oh, you know it's true he is handsome.

Shut up conscience.

Lunchtime came slowly, and I was thankful for it, but before I could get up from my desk, the elevator doors went off. Out stepped a delivery man who held a bag of food, and a bouquet of roses.

"Are you Miss Parker?"

"Yes, that's me." There was only one person I could think of who would be behind this.

"These are for you." He handed me the items, turned around and left before I could give him a thank you. Looking inside the bag, it consisted of a bowl of soup and some medicine. Before I started eating I went and filled up my vase with water, after throwing the old flowers out and adding the new ones, attached to them was a letter.

My Little Sick Angel,

I noticed you were sick today, so I called in an order at my Uncles restaurant for some of our family's famous chicken noodle soup. I also bought you some medicine that should have you feeling better in no time. The flowers were just a bonus for you to replace the last set I gave you.

Rest up and get well Ava.

Until next time,

Prince Charming xoxo

He's so sweet and thoughtful, but when did he see me. Not very many people come up to this floor, and I haven't left my desk today. Maybe he saw me this morning walking into the building. This would be so much better if I knew who he was and I could thank him in person.

Taking the medicine he gave me, I switched the phone lines to the answering machine and started on the soup. It was the best soup I've ever tasted. I'll have to find out what restaurant he got this from so I can get some more whenever I'm sick. Maybe even try the other food they serve.

Finishing the soup off, I cleaned my mess up and headed to the bathroom. When I came back, I opened the phone lines up and got back to work. The sneezing and the runny nose didn't stop, but the soup and medicine made it a little better.

--------------

When work was finally over, I headed straight home to let Remy outside, feed him, and give him water. I was so drained from this cold that I didn't change out of my work clothes. I ended up laying on the couch with Remy curled into my side and took a nap.

Mystery Man's P.O.V

I wish I was able to send her home so she can rest up. Though, I knew she'd be stubborn and insist on staying. I want to be the one who takes care of her, but neither of us is ready for that. Some day soon, I want to show her who I am, but I'm afraid of the rejection once she finds out. She doesn't seem interested in me whenever I'm around.

You are her boss, asshole.

That is true, the board of HR would not be pleased if the boss was dating an employee.

The soup and the medicine I bought her should have her feeling better tomorrow. It won't completely take the sickness away, but she shouldn't feel like death hit her either. The soup is a family secret recipe passed down generation to generation and is sold in my Uncle's restaurant.

When I arrived at work, I was so excited that I was going to see her, even though I just saw her yesterday. It was nice seeing her interact with the gift I gave her. I knew she would be angry with me for buying her the puppy, but I knew she'd fall in love with him as well.

Maybe one day it'll be the three of us together at the park, almost like a family. That doesn't sound like a bad idea, a family with Ava would be a dream come true.

Before any of that can happen, I need to get rid of my fake girlfriend. Then I can worry about my father. Maybe he'll understand when he finds out I'm interested in someone that I see myself settling down with. My mother wouldn't mind who I'm with, as long as I am happy. I know for a fact, she would love Ava.

I'm surprised my mother went and found this girl to date. Maybe it was because she wants grandkids? Or the fact my father wanted it done soon. The problem with the girl they picked was she wanted money. My parents don't see that because she puts on an act in front of them.

It was 6 o'clock by the time I left the office. I was the last one here besides security and the cleaners. I had one more gift I wanted to leave Ava at her desk. It was a small keychain of a husky to add to her key ring, where I had Remy's name engraved onto it.

Hope your feeling better.

XOXO

Sitting it on her office desk, I headed out for the night.