20 | my fault

i sit up and glance at the clock, i get out of bed and get ready before walking to work

finally i arrive at work at 4:24 as my shift starts i make it out into the dining area of the restaurant looking calm and emotionless, how the boss wants all the employees to look apparently.

i take a few peoples orders and go back to the kitchen to give the order to the chefs. "thanks, y/n." one of them says, handing me two dishes with a small proportion of steak with some fancy sauce dripped over it and a few little basil leaves or something like that.

i bring it out to the table and return to my position. a few hours later in my earpiece, i hear one of the chefs telling me to come to get another dish.

i take it and walk back out. as i was walking, i accidentally trip, watching as the plate gets launched in front of me.

i could already hear my boss coming out from the back to see what happened. i knew he'd fire me on the spot.

they have this zero-tolerance thing for tripping and breaking dishes. i look down at my hand and notice a small shard of glass was stuck in the palm of my hand.

gasps were heard from around the restaurant. "ms. y/l/n, i'm afraid i'm going to have to let you go." my boss said.

i could hear the anger in his voice for making a fool out of the restaurant. i was speechless and didn't know what to say.

"it was my fault." i hear a voice. i look up and see a dirty blonde boy standing up from his chair.

"i was about to get up to go to the washroom but i wasn't looking where i was going and hit her. it was all my fault, don't fire her." he sounded slightly familiar.

i couldn't see his face clearly because i had tears stinging my eyes from the pain.

but why is he lying to my boss for me? "are you sure, mr. phoenix?" my boss asks, most likely upset over the fact that he didn't get to fire me today.

"yeah, i wouldn't be able to sleep knowing i'm the reason someone lost their job."

i was finally able to place the voice. it belonged to river phoenix and i guess it must've been pretty clear because there were a few cameras filming the event.

he helped me up and took the piece of glass out of my hand. "would you mind if she takes the rest of the night off, actually? she doesn't look very well." river asks.

my boss looks dumbfounded but agrees since you can't really say no to river or else it could risk the ratings and its reputation.

"of course, i was just going to suggest that." he replies.

sure you were, i think to myself.

my boss sends me a stern look and i quickly head back to the change room area unable to thank him for helping me.

as i'm leaving the restaurant and walking home i hear someone shout. "hey!" i turn around and see river phoenix there, smiling.

"you're just gonna leave without saying thank you?" he asks me, sending me a soft look. "you saved me back there and i've been trying to figure out why you'd do that for me. but i do know that it was probably the nicest thing someone's ever done."

i pause, softly smiling. "is there any way i can repay you?" i ask him. he cheekily smiles. "why don't you buy me some coffee?" he suggests.

"even though you just ate at a five star restaurant?" i ask. "those kinds of dinners never fill anyone up. i mean have you seen the size of them? it should be on the kid's menu, it's so little."

i giggle softly at the shade river was throwing.

"okay, coffee it is."