Bitter Depth Chapter 1

-I do not own any of these characters except for my original characters.-

The young woman slept peacefully in the dark room. The only light came in the form of silver moon rays peeping through her curtains. Slowly, her door crept open and a shadow descended upon her. A fanged smile was upon the face of the intruder as he inched closer. His hands lifted into the air as if ready to pounce. The silence was broken the second he seized his prey.

"IZZY ITS TIME FOR SCHOOL!!!!" Dennis shouted as he landed on top of the woman's stomach. Isabella's eyes snapped open as she felt the young vampire land. Letting out a short huff of surprise, she was quick to sit up. She began to smother him with her tickling fingers. Dennis shrieked in delight as she laughed and said,

"You could have just turned the lights on to wake me you know."

Dennis giggled, "But it's more fun the way I do it."

Suddenly Mavis was standing in the doorway, her face was a mixture of amusement and disapproval at the scene before her. The disapproval was towards her son as she gently took him in her arms.

"Sweetie, you can't just jump on Aunt Izzy like that when she's sleeping. It's very rude and you could have really hurt her. Remember you still haven't learned control of you vampire strength and Izzy is a human, they aren't as sturdy as mine and Papa Drac's bodies."

Izzy nodded in agreement while rubbing the area Dennis had landed on. She was sure a bruise would begin to form. He looked at her, suddenly feeling guilty. "I'm sorry Aunt Izzy, I didn't mean to hurt you." His sad puppy eyes soon had both women cooing at him.

"It's okay Dennis." Izzy stated ruffling his hair, "Just be a tad bit more careful okay?"

He perked up and smiled, "Okay!" Quickly turning into a bat, he flew out of the room. "I'll go get my books, so we can start school!"

Mavis called after him. "Have your father make you breakfast first!"

The two women watched him go then looked at one another. Mavis smiled at her friend, taking note of her tangled mess of hair as her light blue eyes seemed to droop slightly closed. Mavis giggled, with a wave of her hand a cup of coffee appeared, and she handed it to a very thankful Isabella. Mavis then proceeded to grab the brush off the vanity and sit behind the twenty-three-year-old human and brush through her long sandy brown hair. This had been their morning routine for five months now.

Now that Dennis was a vampire Mavis was comfortable keeping him on a nocturnal schedule, which meant he couldn't go to school during the day. That's was around the time Mavis had made her husband Johnny reach out to people on the web about night schooling Dennis. Isabella was the one to answer the ad. From the second Izzy entered the hotel Mavis and her connected. The two women had quickly developed a close relationship and the young human was widely liked by her family and staff. Mavis and Johnny enjoyed her company and so did Dennis. He began calling her Aunt Izzy. Mavis truly enjoyed the new addition to the family and loved the feeling of being herself around another girl close to her age... Or at least age equivalent in human years.

"What are you teaching Dennis today?" Mavis inquired as she worked on a tangle at the back of the girl's head.

Sipping her coffee slowly, Izzy began to feel the effects of the caffeine immediately. Smiling she answered, "Simple addition and subtraction today. It's very important to lay a solid foundation in mathematics if Dennis wants to continue his education moving forward."

Mavis nodded in agreement as a sly smile appeared on her face.

"Good to hear, now how 'bout we talk about something else, like maybe... the date you had with that male harpy that's staying in room 1312?" Izzy chocked on her coffee as a slight blush appeared on her cheeks.