Bitter Depth: Chapter 2

It was weeks later, and the hotel was bustling with guests. The only difference was Mavis pacing behind the welcome desk in anticipation. Today was the day! They were successful in contacting Izzy's mother and the woman was in on the plan Mavis created.

"Holy rabies! I'm super pumped to meet her! She was so nice on the phone. I can't wait for her to meet harpy guy... I mean Asher!"

Dracula raised an eyebrow as he glanced at his daughter, "Who's Asher?" She just waved a hand in his direction. Her eyes never leaving the entrance doors. "That's not important right now dad, just keep a lookout for her. She will be wearing a baggy trench coat, scarf, sunglasses, and a sun hat."

"Why did you ask her to wear a disguise again?" Johnny asked bored. He sat to the side of the desk playing with his yo-yo, tired of playing lookout for Izzy's mom.

Mavis smiled at him, "Because I don't want Izzy to see her until dinner. Dad, I think you should hand me her key now so that I can just take her straight to her room."

Dracula grabbed a key off the back wall and handed it to his overly excited daughter. He was just ready for this surprise to be over. All he had been hearing from the beginning of this plan was how great Izzy's mom sounded over the phone. It seemed this human family really had a knack for making his daughter fall for their charm. He wasn't jealous by any means, he was happy that Mavis had more friends, he just didn't want to hear about how 'cool' they were. He also wanted this surprise to end so he could meet the woman and assess for himself if she was really that, as Mavis put it, 'down to earth'. His thoughts about the entire situation seemed to stop as a figure walked through the entrance of his hotel. There was no telling the features of the figure because of the amount of clothing covering them up. The only thing that could be presumed was that the person was tall and probably a woman based on the way the giant coat seemed to swallow her. Mavis squealed and before Dracula could blink she was beside the cloaked figure. They talked for a second, probably introducing themselves, and then the figure hugged Mavis. Next thing Dracula knew, the two women disappeared in the elevators to the room.

"Finally!" Johnny jumped up from his spot. "I'm going to go talk to some guest to see if they are enjoying the new tech amenities I added last week. What are you going to do Drac?"

The vampire shrugged as his cape floated around him, "I'll probably take a quick fly around the hotel. I feel like stretching my wings."

"Awesome." Johnny began to walk away towards a human family sitting in the lobby. Drac went towards the exit. Ready to feel the night on his wings.

***

"I cannot wait to see Izzy's face when you show up at dinner!" Mavis exclaimed. She looked around the hotel room, making sure everything was in place for her special guest. The woman chuckled as she began to remove the disguise the vampire had suggested she wear. She was never one for dressing up, but she could hear over the phone how important it was to Mavis for this plan to go smoothly. Mavis turned towards her guest but seemed to stop. The woman's features were now clearly visible without the disguise. She was tall with a curvaceous build. Her high cheekbones and pointed jawline were clearly the same as Izzy's, but that's where the similarities stopped. She was much paler than Izzy and her hair and eyes were not of the same coloring. Her hair was darker than the night and it cascaded down her figure in loose curls ending at the small of her back. Then there were her eyes. They were the color of lavender and extremely striking. If there was one thing Mavis was sure of, Izzy's mother was beautiful.

The woman's smile was welcoming as she ushered her over. The woman fished around in her purse for a second then pulled out a beautiful bracelet beaded with moonstones.