Bitter Depth Chapter 6

"Okay," Dracula scanned the grocery list once more and shuffled through the bags on his arms.

"We seem to have everything... do you need anything else for your sweet treats?"

Ezra thoughtfully pursed her lips, an action Drac found adorable.

"I have everything I need for normal sweets, but I am missing one ingredient for my monster desserts..."

Dracula smiled, "Monster desserts?" Ezra nodded excitedly. "Yes! Back at the bakery in New York we incorporated monster sweet recipes to our daily menu to be more inclusive. I already looked through your kitchen and I found almost everything I need except scareberries. Do you know where we could find some?"

"There is this field not far from here with wild scareberry bushes. We can go pick some." Dracula stated as he began to load the grocery bags into the carriage.

"How long would it take to get there?" Ezra began to plan out a schedule. Cakes and macarons first then she'd move onto cookies... As she was mentally organizing herself Dracula finished loading up the carriage and walked towards a vendor selling handmade household objects. He picked up a wicker basket and paid quickly.

Softly laying a hand on Ezra's shoulder he spoke in a lower voice than usual. Ezra stood at attention feeling his words hit the back of her neck.

"I can take you while the carriage goes back to the hotel. Fred will make sure everything is put up in the kitchen ready for you."

Dracula gave a nod toward the zombie that drove the carriage, Ezra assumed this to be Fred. Fred nodded back his mouth opened slightly as dead eyes moved to the road ahead of him as he quickly began his journey back.

Dracula reached around her form to present the basket before her eyes. She took it gently and looked over her shoulder at him. He was smiling. It was a genuine smile that made her relax slightly. Seeing him confident made her confident.

"How are we going to get there now? On foot?"

He shook his head and offered a hand towards her. Ezra quickly pieced together what he was suggesting, and her body felt as if it was on fire.

"I'm not sure this is a good idea...." She couldn't do this. She needed to stay in control of her emotions. She needed to be careful.

"Ezra." Her eyes found his. Her name on his lips made her lose all the willpower she had. She placed her hand in his. Dracula pulled her closer and gently snaked one arm around her waist. Their eyes staying glued to the others.

"Is this okay?" Dracula's voice was even lower now and she wondered how that was even possible.

Giving a hesitant nod Ezra felt her body shiver as he smiled again.

"I won't hurt you."

These words stole her breath away. Twenty-three years. Countless men had pursued her in that period. All of them said the same things. All of them rejected. She knew this game. She knew when she was being lied to. She had no problem being alone, all she needed was her daughter. What was the point? Men lied; men cheated. She had seen it all before. So, it surprised her when she spoke.

"I trust you."

They slowly lifted from the ground and Ezra instinctively wrapped her arms around his neck for security. Dracula responded by holding her tighter around this waist. He suppressed his urge to toucher any more than he was. Feeling her curvaceous form against him was driving him insane, but he was a vampire of his word and he would make sure no harm came to Ezra.

He hooked his other arm at the bend in her knees and soon he was holding her princess style. They began to fly. The initial movement jolted her, and she closed her eyes. Ezra opened them slowly and saw that he was only flying right over the treetops probably to make her feel more comfortable. This made her relax further and truly enjoy the experience.

The wind caressed her as they cut through the air. Her hair whipped back making her feel alive and free. This sensation reminded her of another. One she loved a long time ago. One she could never do again. It was a remnant of a past life, this feeling that it overtook her, and a carefree side of Ezra emerged from the depths within her. She leaned towards the vampire, her lips just barely brushing his ear. The touch caused a flash of heat through Dracula's body, but he kept his composure while they flew.

"Go higher." She whispered to him.

Dracula looked at her, but she wasn't looking at him. She was looking towards the sky... and she was crying. Her tears trailing behind them in the wind. He opened his mouth to say something, but she cut him off.

"Go higher. Please."

He watched her for a second longer. She looked out to the sky, her eyes reflecting the moon. Dracula had a sense that she wasn't looking at anything, at least not what was in front of them anyway. No, it felt like she was looking at a memory. Like she was replaying it in her head.

He didn't question it any further. He went higher and well into the clouds.

He paused his flight right over a fluffy sea of white. This is when she looked at him. Dracula realized something at this moment. There was a part of Ezra that had seemed to have been dead before this moment. At this moment the fire in her eyes showed the true life that had been gone. She looked ready to take on the world and she was.

"Dracula." She whispered. He leaned closer wondering if this was a good time to kiss her and if she was thinking the same. She wasn't.

"Let go of me." He shook his head as if to clear it.

"What?!" His surprise made her laugh. "I trust you to catch me. I need this." He believed that. Flying was helping her to relive something. A life she must not be able to return to. He was curious but knew better not to ask. Her eyes alone told him he wouldn't get an answer. Seeing her like this as happy as she could ever be made it easy to do what he did next.

He dropped her.

She fell through the air with a swan dive then stretched her limbs out and loving the sensation. She closed her eyes and relived the moments of her early life. She never knew that flying could recreate this feeling. If she did, she would have said yes to that pilot's date offer five years ago. She enjoyed the moment until the very last second. Then Dracula swooped in to save her. In seconds she was placed gently on the ground in front of several scareberry bushes. She stood beside him looking up with her violet eyes still flashing. It made his heart jump in his throat. She was looking at him like that and it gave him a surge of happiness.

"I haven't felt that alive in years." She admitted embarrassed of her slip in composure. "Thank you."

She stood on her toes and gave his cheek a quick peck. She walked away smiling and began to pick the berries. Dracula stood frozen touching his cheek in elated bewilderment. He would take her flying again.

________________________________________________________________________________

WOO! ANOTHER CHAPTER DOWN!!!!!!!! I hope you like this one! Next Chapter coming in the next two weeks.

For now, I would love to hear your theories on what Ezra is possibly hiding. I am sure some of you have figured it out. If not, great! I was trying to not make it obvious so that would mean I succeeded.  For real though I love hearing from you so do not be shy!