Chapter 8: A SEARCH FOR CLUES

TARA

Tara walked inside the library, which had bookshelves towering above her. Chairs were scattered all over the place, where people could sit to read. On both sides of the library were computers placed on tables. In the middle lay the checkout counter.

"You looking for something?" a voice called out to her. A skinny boy with shades obscuring his eyes was resting elbow on one of the tables.

"Yeah. I've come to do some research on supernatural creatures," Tara requested.

"Right this way," the boy led Tara to a row of bookshelves and pulled out a book titled 'Supernatural Creatures'. Tara flipped to the table of contents and found that information on flying creatures were located in the first chapter.

"'Adze---a supernatural creature in Ewe folklore. It takes the form of a firefly and can turn into a human, where it can possess humans,'" Tara read aloud.

"Why are you searching for supernatural creatures?" the boy raised his eyebrows.

"I found a strange photograph of a man flying. I think he might be a fairy, but it could be an adze," Tara took out the photograph. The boy gazed at it.

"I don't think he's a fairy," he shook his head. "He doesn't have wings. See?"

"They could be transparent,"

"Hmmm, that's a thought. But according to the book, an adze can turn into a human, so it could be that,"

"I'm so confused," Tara slammed the book shut and put her hands on her temples.

"Did you hear about the disappearance of Hunter West? Turns out the witness, Daniella Sakai, said that the captor claimed to know that Hunter would die an unpleasant death. He said he could help prevent that from happening, so that's why he went with him,"

"So this guy must have psychic powers like clairvoyance," Tara flipped back to the table of contents and saw that information for creatures with psychic powers can be found in the fourth chapter.

"'Abra---a Psychic type Pokemon that can be found in the Kanto region of Japan," Tara read aloud and raised her eyebrows. "Wait---Pokemon exist in the real world?"

"I've never seen one. Then, there's Pokemon Go," the boy shrugged.

"That was so three years ago,"

"Alright, alright,"

"'Certain vampires can fly, but these typically are used by vampires who converted over a thousand years ago. They can use psychic powers such as hypnosis, telepathy, telekinesis, and clairvoyance,'" Tara read aloud. It was as though a lightbulb had entered her brain. "Aha!"

"What is it?"

"This guy---he's a vampire!" Tara pointed at the photograph. "The book says that vampires can fly and use psychic powers like clairvoyance,"

"Wow, you're one smart girl," the boy nodded. "Listen. The witness of the disappearance of two girls a few days ago, Justin Ross, formed a search party to go look for them,"

"Since I know what we're all up against, I'm setting off to put an end to this," Tara got up.

"Wait!" the boy outstretched his hand.

"What?"

"It's dangerous to go out alone. I've read Supernatural Creatures a thousand times. I can help you,"

"But you need someone to cover your asses," a voice called out. A girl with cropped hazel hair was loudly chewing bubblegum behind them.

"Krystal! What are you doing here?" the boy demanded.

"Marcus, you don't know as much about supernatural stuff as I do," Krystal boasted. "So I gotta come with you to cover your asses. But first, we need to get more people on board. It can't just be the three of us going off. Plus, we need an adult with us,"

"Alright, alright," Marcus said with a hint of annoyance. "Fine, Krys. You can come help us recruit some people,"

"Good," Krystal nodded. "Who should we recruit?"

"That's a good question. We can always recruit our closest friends. They're trustworthy, at least," Tara suggested.

"Hmmmmmm, let's start with that," Krystal nodded as the trio exited the library.

---

Author's Note: Who will Tara recruit to come with her on her quest?