The Start Of The End

The streets were desolate tonight, the moon overlooking the kingdom and soothing away the uneasiness twisting stubbornly in my stomach

The streets were desolate tonight, the moon overlooking the kingdom and soothing away the uneasiness twisting stubbornly in my stomach. I leaned against the theatre wall, my eyes closed as I listened to the spectacle transpiring inside.

Even though I wasn't physically witnessing my sister's performance, I could capture every second with clarity in my mind. There she was, sitting with one shaved leg over the other, her lips hovering just a few millimeters over the lip plate of her flute.

The audience, of course, was not only compelled by the sound that protruded from each breath she drew, but also by her genetically acquired flawless features- her high cheekbones and sharp jawline that cut through a million men of stone.

Finally, when Eryx cut off abruptly on the last note, I mustered up the courage to poke my head inside. The completion of her presentation was immediately followed by a chorus of clapping, cheers, and whistling.

The king and queen -our parents- rose from their seats at the front and nodded their heads in approval. I would have mistaken them for a high-born pair had it not been for the crowns they paraded around like trophies, yielding all power in the diamond embodiments. Their smiles were not genuine; whenever I beheld the sight of them, I was transported to a pitch-black, hollow place where I was surrounded by smashed mirrors. My reflection would be divided into pieces, and that scared me to death.

Anyway, it was my turn next, the youngest of ten sisters. Discreetly, I sneaked past the throng of people unnoticed and found myself backstage; all of my siblings were already loaded together in the open space, gushing in hushed voices about their previous performances.

Once they discerned the creak of my steps and I emerged, I felt sixteen pairs of eyes fix their attention on me. I knew what they all thought of me, the easiest sister to overrule. I would never taste the extensive power of being Queen, because I came last in a line of bloodthirsty snakes.

"It's father's birthday," Eryx, the eldest, broke the silence. She made her way down the stairs leading away from the now empty stage. Her jaw was set, face hardened as she looked me over from head to toe, criticizing my flaws inside her head, narrowing her feline eyes. Eryx's long lashes were darker than usual, tinged with mascara and curled. "Don't ruin it, Y/N."

I didn't respond, clutching the neck of my violin with more force than I intended. Don't lose control, I repeated in my head as I glared at Eryx's taunting gaze. I tilted my chin up and did something that confused her- I smirked.

Her face became ashen, as did the others.

"What are you-" Eryx was about to ask, her voice crumbling. But I was already halfway up the stairs, the pounding of my steps beating in sync with my racing heartbeat.

Normal P.O.V.

Y/N emerged from the safety of the cobalt curtains, speed walking to the center of the stage as if being pursued by a mouse, knocking her knees together. The multitude of onlookers frowned at her lack of grace, secretly crestfallen that she didn't resemble her sisters whatsoever.