Epilogue: Better Man

Merry Christmas everyone!! I hope you are all having an amazing day!! So, this is it, the last update of a AFTR, I'm so happy you've all seemed to enjoy it as much as Slow Ride and I hope the epilogue is no exception. 

Enjoy reading. 

xoxoxoxo

Song for this chapter: Better Man by 5 Seconds of Summer

~Raegan~

1 year later...

The familiar scent of melting butter and maple syrup woke me from my sleep.  I turned over to Tweaker's side of the bed and wasn't surprised to see that he wasn't asleep next to me. It had become somewhat of a tradition since Jamie and I moved in a few months ago that he took over making our weekend pancakes—and he had gotten really good at it too. Grilled cheese was still my forte but pancakes were all him.

I yawned as I stood to my feet and rubbed the sleep from my eyes on my way to the bathroom in the corner of our room. Our house wasn't big by any means, but it was just enough for us. Tweaker's other place here in Tucson had been a bit more spacious, but he insisted when I finally re-agreed to move me and Jamie out here again that we move somewhere else so we could all get a fresh start. Although this place wasn't as fancy or big as others we had looked at, it had a homey feeling from the second we set foot inside. Not to mention, Jamie loved that we had a decent sized backyard with a swimming pool that he and Tweaker practically lived in ever since we moved. It also had the renovated kitchen of my dreams with new stainless steel appliances and beautiful granite countertops that Tweaker and I christened on more than one occasion.

After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I tip-toed down the stairs as I listened carefully to the voices I heard coming from the kitchen. Listening to Jamie and Tweaker talk while they thought I wasn't around had weirdly become one of my favourite things. It warmed my heart to hear how patient and loving he was toward my nephew and it meant even more to see for myself how much Jamie loved him.

"So she likes you then?" I heard Tweaker ask Jamie, as he sat next to him on the counter.

Jamie's little face turned as red as a tomato. "No she doesn't," he insisted, crossing his arms over his chest.

Tweaker let out a laugh as he poured a spoonful of pancake mix onto the hot skillet. "Dude, everyone knows that when a girl bothers you just to make you mad it means she likes you. Half the reason I knew your aunt loved me was that she loved to piss me off just as much as I loved to piss her off."

I stifled a laugh as I poked my head out from around the corner and continued to eavesdrop.

"Really?" Jamie asked, as his eyes widened.

Tweaker nodded, flipping the pancake over in one swift motion.

"Really," he confirmed. "And I still love your aunt even though she's listening in on a private boys conversation again," he said as he turned his head in my direction and locked eyes right on me.

I bit my lip as I felt my cheeks grow red. I didn't usually get caught listening, but when I did, Tweaker always found it cute that I wanted to hear the things that he and Jamie talked about.

"Aunty, Rae!" Jamie chided. "This is guy talk. We told you last time that there are no girls allowed while we're cooking pancakes."

I stepped out into the open and held up my hands in defence. "Sorry, buddy I was just there for a minute, I promise."

Tweaker let out a laugh while Jamie scowled at me.

"Morning, Toots," Tweaker greeted, eyeing me up and down. I wasn't wearing anything special—just one of his t-shirts and a pair of boyshorts, but he was looking at me as if I had on the sexiest lingerie he had ever seen, and I had to admit, I loved the way his eyes lingered on me for way longer than acceptable.