two

special thanks to the series Turn for fueling me with new ideas and more inspiration to write. I apologize for my longs absence - senior year is a bitch

"Your majesty, we have news of the colonies."

"The United States, if you will," the queen let out a low sigh, wondering why she still allowed incompetent people like William Petty were still part of her court.

Then again, William Petty won't stay Prime Minister for long. Not if she held the reigns.

Her gaze fell onto the letter and the prime minister shifts slightly in his place.

The wax seal is broken, indicating that the letter has been read by someone before her.

"How do you explain this broken seal?", Y/N asks, voice ice cold as her eyes move up to meet Petty's gaze, who starts sweating slightly.

"It already arrived like that, your majesty," he replies and earns a slight laugh from the queen "And you think I'm stupid enough to believe that?"

The guards that had accompanied Petty tightened their grasps around the swords strapped to their waists and a thought struck Y/N. What might seem as a casual gesture to the prime minister and his guards, as she waved her right hand a bit toward empty space, was in reality a notice for Miles behind her to be cautious - something was bound to happen.

"I beg your pardon?", Petty asks with a slight frown, fear featuring in his eyes, too obvious to not be noticed.

"I thought I made it clear that I do not want letters addressed to me be opened by anyone, if it isn't me. Especially those considering the war."

Petty huffs a nervous laugh and scratches the back of his neck carefully "I apologize, your majesty, but not many of us believe it wise for a woman to handle things considering the war."

Y/N raises a brow at him, before she pushes herself up from her seat and rests her hands on the table before her "Are you therefore saying that I am not fit to be queen?"

"That, I did not say, but I do support the fact that your majesty is unable to rule without a husband," Petty says, his fear almost forgotten as he stands up straighter, but bound to return when he noticed the sweet smile resting on Y/N's lips as she glares up at him through her blue eyes.

In this lighting, the violet in them shone more obvious, Petty realized.

"So you think a man should take over my post?", she asks and watches as he nods "After all, our country has been ruled by men for the past centuries!"

"Do I need to remind you that this country has been run by women before?", she smiles with a raised brow, watching in delight as Petty gulps.

"Those women though have been native to our country. Are we supposed to follow the lead of a woman that wasn't even born here?"

"Would you rather have someone incompetent sit on the throne while I have been drilled for this job since I was eleven years old?"

"You were not even chosen for this! To be a princess or whatever, possibly, but the throne was never intended for you! We want George IV on the throne!"

"Watch your words, prime minister, you are still talking to the queen!", Miles hisses, his hand tightening on his sword.

"A queen I did not choose!", Petty almost yells, spit flying. He was making it fairly easy for Y/N to rid him of his post.

"You know what, prime minister?", she says as she rounds the desk to come to stand before the male.

Petty only watches her warily, the guards behind him looking ready to strike.

"I hope you know a good place to hide with your family, because you are hereby freed of your duties as Prime Minister as cause of treason towards the crown. You have until tomorrow morning to pack your things and leave this country with your wife and children. If you do not follow this order, I will personally see to have this matter being taken care of. You are dismissed."

"You can't do this!", Petty exclaims shocked, backing off a step. The guards that have accompanied him await a sign from him, Y/N can tell.

"I can and I just have. You are dismissed and I will not repeat myself," Y/N says, voice cold and full of authority.

Her confidence doesn't waver even when the guards by Petty's side pull out their swords and hold them directed towards her.

"Three people have decided to resign today, what a day this is," the queen sighs with faked enthusiasm, smiling broadly at the three men before them who have just officially accepted their deaths.

"Queen Y/N, you are accused of treason towards the crown. We have the order to arrest you," a guard says and Y/N huffs a laugh "And from who could you possibly get such authority? I surely wouldn't allow you to arrest me under false accusations. Tell me, who let you believe that you have such powers at your hands?"

"I did, mother."

In no other moment has her desire to kill George Augustus Frederick been as strong as it was now.

He stepped into the room, past Petty and his guards, a satisfied smile resting on his lips as he approaches Y/N, who was fuming with hatred.

"And have I not told you that you have no authority and no responsibility here anymore?", she asks tilting her head to the side slightly, eyes glaring into her step-son's.

"You have, but I am a rebellious son. I am in my rebellious phase. I am prone to go against you. I am surprised that you haven't figured that out yourself by now, mother."

"To you, it is Queen Y/N," she hisses, making George chuckle to himself "My apologies. But, a queen that works with the enemy is no queen for me. You are accused of the murder of three members of royalty and of working together with the enemy. Fornication is also part of your accusations."

George smiles softly at Y/N, before he leans closer to whisper in her ear "Don't you ever miss your child and it's father?"

Y/N could feel her blood run cold at his words and Frederick decided he had at least a small amount of sympathy as he said "Show her the letter."

Reluctantly Petty finally hands the letter over and Y/N grabs it, rounding her desk to sit down and read it with at least some sense of peace.

To Your Majesty, Queen Y/N,

The British soldiers are slowly giving up their camps, just as you said, and are finally heading back.

Your husband and child are doing well.

Thank you for your help to our fortune.

General Washington.

Y/N could feel herself relax. She held the letter a little to the right so Miles could read along, as she turns her attention to the men before her with a weary smile "And you think faking a letter will prove you to be right?"

Petty starts to sweat even more and Y/N starts to believe that his clothes will be drenched any second. His eyes dart from George to the queen and back, approving of the obvious.

"You think we faked the letter?"

"I worked together with General Washington, I will not hide that fact. But I worked with him long enough to know that this is anything but his handwriting. You must work harder than that to allege me of false accusations."

She then turned her head slightly to look at Miles as she said "Have those guards and Petty taken care of. I will deal with the rest."

With a nod, Miles moved from his post and shoved the guards and Petty out of the room.

Leaving George to Y/N.