Chapter 9

Amazed by what he was seeing, Henry's expectation of Roxanne's idea of a "carnival" was not what he had in mind as he stood there with Francine motionless and bedazzled.

"Yoo-hoo! We're here," called Eris from above the steps. The two had found a table and seats on the walkway above them and were already shooting out bottles of champagne with their neighboring table friends. Francine walked up the steps, hurrying over to the fun as Henry followed along, watching the circus begin its party games. There were roulette tables and all other game tables with dealers who wore painted white faces much like playing cards. The acrobats from earlier swung overhead above Henry as he gazed throughout this whirlwind of fun. In due time, the little men had returned, this time joining in with the crowds.

"Come on, Henry, over here. Come join the fun!" called Eris again as she held out her glass; it was already her second drink. Henry came to her table and found her with four other guests already talking amongst themselves, drinking merely.

"Everyone, this is Henry Leon, the pianist I've been telling you all about," Eris introduced excitedly, touching his shoulder and sitting him down next to Francine just as Mr. Walden poured him a glass.

"Well that's a surprise, you got his stiff bones to come out," remarked a familiar face that Henry immediately recognized. It was his school's orchestra first-chair cellist and friend, Maxwell Stevens. He smiled at Henry with a calm attractive composure as he sat there lounging on his chair with a martini in his hand alongside his beautiful date for tonight, Mary Ann Warren.

"Hey, Max, you're here too? With Mary Ann?" gasped Henry.

"More than half of our department is here. I've been telling you to go out more. Fancy seeing you here tonight," expressed Maxwell.

"Great, you two already know each other," Eris interrupted as she had her third glass poured by Walden. Henry did not know the other two guests on the other end. Eris introduced them to be acquaintances of hers who were from the Midwest and had come here for the excitement of city life. They were a young married couple who Henry believed struck it rich from the new business. The music combined with laughter and cheers drowned out below them as they all began conversing on the latest news in town and in the world. Henry sat there innocently as he listened patiently and semi-interested. From time to time, he would glance at Francine, who always seemed like she was enjoying the conversations. Henry noticed that she handled her drinks well while he was taking little sips of it to cover his lack of strength. It was to portray that he was masterful in the art of conversation and alcohol consumption.

"Come on, another one before the next dance, Piano Boy," Eris called out loud, "you've only had one glass. We need to get those legs moving with some energy so we can all see those dance moves of yours."

"Yes, I want to see that. Always at the keyboard stretching those finger of yours but now let's see Valentini's pupil play one on the dance floor," agreed Maxwell who patted his friend's shoulder.

"No, I'll make a fool of myself," said Henry as he laughed, embarrassed, waving his hands as he reluctantly received another refill.

In place of a shipment of elephants and lions, crates of rum and whiskey stuffed its cages. And above these cages on display were women clad in nothing but feathers whose seductive dances made them look like harpies suspended from above. But, they were mere decorations as the true hostesses of the party were the mermaids clad in seashells near the pool. Their flirtatious natures raised the mood of the various gentlemen playing cards near them. Despite the Zimmerman Circus not bringing their showcase of animals for entertainment tonight, the audience would serve to become animals themselves. Wildly, they stampeded onto the dance floor when the band began playing "The Charleston."