Chapter 8

~
" run, run, run away "
~

Midnight had come, and the old clock signaled the approach of summer, as the Equinox Festival continued on in full swing. The celebration that year signalled the rebirth of the town in which the promise of better times to come bloomed.

The Wolf had been killed and no more tradegy befell the town's people.

They danced and drank and fucked as the moon lit the darkened world. It was like carnival for the isolated townfolk.

And while the celebrations continued on, little Angelica looked out from her bedroom window. She saw the fire and heard the music and her curiousity was driving her to observe them from nearby.

Her brothers were in bed, and her father had joined the festival, which left the little girl to her own demise.

She pulled on her boots and threw her cloak over her shoulders, lifting the hood over her golden curls. She tiptoed down the hallway and to the stairs, slowly making her way down each one as to not wake anyone.

The forest was quiet, only the sound of a lonely own calling out echoing between the threes as Angelica walked along the treeline to the where she could see the festival better without being spotted.

Her clumsy feet nearly tripped over a branch, but she kept herself upright, grabbing onto the rough trees for support.

Her eyes caught sight of the dancing and she hid herself behind a tree as she continued to watch as they moved along the flames to the beating of the drums. It was her own false sense of security which lead her to be unaware of the man standing behind her.

"Well hello there little red riding hood." He spoke and Angelica jumped in fright.

"W-who are you?" She asked, shaking.

The man chuckled. Crouching down so he was at eye level with Angelica. "I am the big bad wolf."

Tears were glittering in her eyes. "Are you going to hurt me?" She asked.

He cupped her cheek, wiping away a fallen tear. "No, not now, not ever." He pulled her into his arms and rose to his full length. "Let's get you home."

Angelica fell asleep in his arms, and when she rose the next morning, she believed it all a dream had it not been for the mud caked to her riding cloak. She rushed downstairs, greeting her family as they sat down at the breakfast table.

"Angelica, you will nit be going to Mrs Browne's house today." Her father sated as he sipped his tea. "We must get you fitted for a new Sunday dress."

The girl nodded. She was young, yet she understood the important role she had in maintaining their family's name. When she is older she would take on bigger roles and responsibilities like her mother, possibly even be subjected to a strategical marraige like her aunt.

Angelica was a social being and adored the attention she gained from the townfolk. She loved being adored, but she was not spoiled and rather remained humbled. It was what drew people towards her.

The dressmaker was an old man who lived with his wife and three daughters. They all worked together at their shop, and bussiness was always good as it was the only shop in town.

Angelica and her father entered the shop and was immediatly greeted by the family who cooed over the rosy cheeked girl.

She stood infront of the mirror, arms streched out as they measured her and compared colour swatches to her skin. Her big doe eyes wondered, catching the dark figure of the man she met the previous night walking past the shop.

Her heart sped up.

"Soon we'll need to get you fitted for a corset little lady." The dressmaker commented.

Alec briefly glanced at the window before he approached his daughter. "You are neary womanhood." His hands clasped behind his back. "You will need someone to guide you through this time."

The subject had been something Alec had avoided for a week. He was the Mayor afterall with five children still living under his roof. He needed to maintain the image of a family man, but their household needed a matriarch.

"Grandma can do it." The little girl beamed.

But Alec shook his head. "No my dear." He sighed before saying. "I have arrainged for Aunt Michonne to visit us."

Angelica's smile fell. "I don't like her."

"Why is that?"

She scrunched up her face. "She's mean to me."

Alec chuckled, shaking his head. "I suppose she is stern, but she is a Lady. She will teach you well."

Lady Michonne was Marchelle's oldest friend from Paris. The two grew up in the same class, but Michonne married a man who outranked her by far. Was it not for her half-brother Marcus the marraige would not have been allowed.

Michonne, recently widowed and after being accused of murdering her own husband, all too happily agreed to travel to the small town in the mountains to marry Alec. Away from the scandal she would lead a simple life as a step-mother.

Alec announced the news to his sons that evening and as the week progressed they anticipated the sibling's arrival.

Michonne scrunched up her nose in disgust when they arrived. "It small." Was all she said as Alec helped her from the carraige.

"Surely you did not expect something else dear sister?" Marcus spoke as he climbed out of the carraige behind her.

Marcus Du Toit was a tall man, towering over most in the village, buldging muscles which filled out his black suit. His features were sharp and his hair black. He was overall handsome, but he gave off a sinister aura.

His eyes were always observing as was the dark beauty Michonne's.

Michonne was a beautiful woman, mysterious and seductive. And it wasn't a wonder why she caught the attention of so many men in Court. She wore heavy velvet dresses which accented her vuluptious curves, she wore diamonds and pearls and her hair was pulled tightly against her head, but was uncovered.

The two siblings looked like royalty amongst the simple townfolk. They were beautiful, dangerous creatures, but like moths to a flame, people were drawn to them.

"Welcome." Alec said as he kissed Michonne's hand.

Michonne nodded her head, a lovely smile playing on her lips.

"Papa! Papa!" Angelica called as she came running from the house, excitement in her voice and a smile on her face. Her red hood flappering behind her.

She paused as she saw the siblings and her eyes widened.

Her big doe eyes met their golden irises. "Hello little red."