The escape

Deep in the kingdom of the Woodland Realm, two elves set to embark on a journey that will, little to their knowledge, be the most dangerous quest of their lives.

Legolas strode the hollow halls of the Mirkwood fortress in search of his friend, Tauriel. He found her speaking to his father, Thranduil, by his throne.

As Tauriel finished her conversation with him, Legolas called her name. "Tauriel, I need your help."

She joined him briskly and they spoke as they walked away from Thranduil. "What do you need help with ?" Tauriel asked.

"You can not tell a soul but both you and I are going to depart to Rivendell as dawn breaks tomorrow." Legolas answers, bringing Tauriel closer and bringing his voice to a whisper.

He pulled away and looked Tauriel straight in the eyes. She nodded and briskly left, not questioning the strange departure. Legolas strode away in the opposite direction, towards the weapon stores.

When he arrived, the room was unguarded and he walked in unnoticed. He picked up two bows, four quivers, fully loaded with twelve arrows each, several daggers and two lightweight but dangerous swords.

Within a minute, he had finished his collection and left through through the back hallways to hide his mass of weapons. He returned to the comfort of his dormitory swiftly.

He heard guards approaching so he frantically searched the walls for some sort of hiding spot. There was a wide, deep crack in the walls and he jammed the weapons inside there.

Nodding as the guards passed by, he stood infront of the crook until the other elves has turned the corner. He grabbed the weapons and ran towards the deep halls.

He stayed there until the ray of light, that had vanished throughout the night, started to return through a hole from the surface. Suddenly, a set of footsteps started to echo through the long hallway. It was Tauriel.

Legolas jumped to his feet and smiles as Tauriel holds out her arms for her weapons; he fumbles through the pile to find her bow, arrows, a sword and two daggers along with a belt with three scabbards on, all sized for the sword and daggers.

"Thank you." Tauriel says as she examines the blade she has been given. She slides the daggers and swords into her belt and slings the quiver over her back, turning the bow around in her hand. Legolas nods in response.

"We must escape at haste, dawn is breaking and the kingdom is awakening." Legolas says, picking up his own weapons and ushering Tauriel back down the hallway.

The winding tunnels and halls of Mirkwood are empty, making the elves escape a slight bit easier. But as the couple approach the main gate, a familiar voice stops them in their tracks.

"Legolas, where are you going ?" Thranduil asks, the two elves turning to face him as he makes his way down a set of steps towards them; a look of curiosity was spread across his face.

"Hunting." Legolas simply answers, grinning politely at his father. Thranduil tilts his head and stares breifly at Tauriel.

"Hunting ? With her ?" The King asks, his curiosity becoming more serious as he glances grimly at Tauriel.

Tauriel raises her chin and decides to answer the question. "I believe I am skilled at hunting, my Lord, and your son simply requested I could accompany him on a short expedition beyond the forest."

Thranduil nods and turns his back, calling as he walks away, "Be back by night fall or I shall punish you. My son, if you aren't infront of me as the sun begins to set, you will be in deep trouble."