The Hidden Truth

Chapter Eleven – The Hidden Truth

"Chase." I stopped walking and called out softly to him. He stood back facing me with our hands still interlinked with each other. I called his name again when he didn't respond.

"Chase." And I tugged his hand a little. He hesitated for a while before taking a sideway glance at me, but not turning his full body around. I then walked around to stand in front of him.

"Chase." I placed my free hand gently on his cheeks and he leaned into my touch, closing his eyes briefly.

"I'm sorry." I whispered softly as my eyes met with his warm brown ones. A drop of tear rolled down my cheeks.

There were a few moments of silent before he looked into my eyes and said, "Tell me."

I paused for a while before replying. "My dad was being attacked by a rogue months ago and died on the spot."

I recalled about that day when I heard about the news regarding my dad, I couldn't hold back my tears. "M-My mum couldn't take the blow and wanted to commit suicide numerous times even till now. I-I couldn't just leave her. I'm all she has left."

"I'm sorry Chase." I stood in front of him with my head down, not daring to look up because I was afraid. I was afraid to look at his expression. Few minutes past and none of us spoke. Slowly, I lifted up my head a little to peek at his expression. He wasn't looking at me at all. He turned his head to the side and was staring at something else.

"Chase?" I took a step forward and whispered his name softly. He immediately took a step back and kept a distance between us.

"Sorry. I-I just need some time to sort out my thoughts." He said not looking at me. After a few seconds, he walked around me and out of the door, leaving me alone in the pack house. At the moment, when I heard the front door slammed shut, more tears were streaming down my cheeks. I held my chest and dropped to the ground. Pain was all I felt. It felt like someone had stabbed into my heart numerous times. Pulling out the knife and plunging into my heart again.

Suddenly, the front door was being slammed opened. I thought it was Chase who came back. I snapped my head in that direction. However, to my disappointment, it wasn't him.

"I heard what you have told Chase." Kerin stomped up to me and said.

"If you didn't intend to be with him, then you shouldn't come here in the first place!! You shouldn't lead him on, letting him thought that you would stay by his side!!! Giving him hope and then destroyed it! How can you be so heartless and selfish!!! What kind of mate you are!!! You are not even worth being his mate!! I don't even know why Moon Goddess paired the both of you together!! You should just reject Chase. I do not what will happen after the both of you reject each other. However, I do not care. Because no matter what happens, I will be there to heal him. To heal his heart." I looked at Kerin in shocked. I couldn't argue with her because part of me felt that she was correct in some ways. She glared at me fiercely before heading out of the pack house.

Throughout the day, I stayed in Chase's room. I didn't step out of the room. I waited and waited but he never returned. I climbed to his bed and wrapped myself in his blanket. The blanket was filled with his scent which calmed me and my wolf a little. However, the effect didn't last long. The whole night, I couldn't sleep at all. The next day, he didn't come back to his room either. I then decided to go out and looked for him. I didn't bother to change my clothes. I just took one of his jackets and wore it.

I stepped out of his room and headed out. As I passed by some of the pack members, they were all shooting me with some unfriendly glares. That moment I really want to just run back to Chase's room and locked myself inside.  I quickly looked at the ground as I passed by them and held Chase's jacket close to me. I could feel my tears were building up in my eyes.

I walked out of the house and started wandering around the town aimlessly. And I couldn't find him at all. I did not know where he liked to go, where he would usually hang out with his friends. Where could he be?

'The tree house.' Angel suddenly spoke in my mind. Oh yes! The tree house! How could I miss that out!

'Thanks, Angel.' I replied but she didn't answer back. She had been very quiet ever since Chase left.

I walked through the clearings and came to the tree house. I was in joy when I picked up his scent. He was really here. I quickened my pace towards the tree house. However, as I was getting nearer, I picked up another scent.

He was not alone.

The scent was so familiar. I stopped walking when realization hit me hard.

He was with her.

He was with Kerin.

I took a few steps back and my legs started wobbling.

'I will be there to heal him. To heal his heart.' Her words kept on replaying over and over in my mind like a broken recorder.

I turned around, with my back facing the tree house. I started walking further away from the tree house. However I didn't leave the clearing. I did something silly. I sat down behind one of the trees that were at the distance away from the tree house. I hugged my legs close to my chest and lay my head on the tree trunk. The wind was blowing strongly. My eyes started to tear.

I wanted to be near him. But I didn't dare to go up to the tree house. He probably didn't want to see my face either. And by sitting here was the nearest distance to him. This may seem silly but as long as I could sense his presence nearby, I was satisfied.

I closed my eyes and felt the breeze brushing passed my face. Among the wind, there was his scent. The wind was carrying his scent in the air. I smiled lightly while taking in his scent. I soon found myself falling asleep. And if I was lucky enough, I probably would at least be able to get a glimpse of his happy face in my dream.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Remember to Vote. Fan. Comment.

Last edited 17 June 2018