eight - nightmares

The darkness around Harry was suffocating. He blinked furiously, trying to clear up the thick sheet of black that surrounded him. He tried to move, but he was pinned down. He tried to scream for help, but no sound came out of his mouth. He was completely helpless.

"Oh, Harry," another mocking voice broke through the silence. Harry's blood ran cold at the sound. The boy's smug face came into view and Harry felt like he was going to throw up. "As though you could ever escape me." His laugh echoed through the room, repeating on a constant loop in Harry's ears.

"Please," Harry begged. "Please, not again." Tears welled up in Harry's eyes as his hands roamed Harry's body. Harry was literally shaking in fear. "Please, I'll do anything but this. Please."

Harry squeezed his eyes shut when the room started swimming. Pain shot through his body and he heard a strangled scream. It was his own voice, but it sounded distant.

When Harry opened his eyes, it wasn't the same boy anymore. It was the boy from the party. He looked confused, but the pain continued to shoot up Harry's spine and the boy's face quickly distorted into something as evil as what he was doing. Harry felt like he was going to rip apart. The tears streamed down his cheeks and he was powerless to stop them. He was powerless to stop any of this.

"Harry," a different voice called. "Harry, please, come back to me." Harry furrowed his brow in confusion as he tried to place the familiar voice.

Louis had woken up with a start at the sound of Harry's frantic voice. "Please, not again," Harry mumbled. His words started quiet, but soon he was practically shouting. "Please, don't make me," he begged, writhing around in the bed.

Before he could really think about what he was doing, Louis jumped up onto the bed, shaking Harry's shoulder to wake him up. "Harry," he said loudly when the younger boy didn't wake up immediately. "Harry!"

"Please, don't," Harry shouted again, struggling against Louis's grip on his shoulders.

"Harry, wake up! Baby, please, wake up," Louis's frantic voice finally pulled Harry from his nightmare. Harry sat up abruptly, nearly knocking his head against Louis's. Louis was straddling Harry's lap and his scared, wild eyes were glowing in the darkness. The sounds of Harry's nightmare were still echoing in both of the boys' ears, but Louis's blue eyes quickly became all Harry could see, and his nightmare became nothing but background noise.

Harry struggled to even out his frantic breathing. He brought his hands up to cover his face and found that his cheeks were wet with tears. Louis rubbed his hands up and down Harry's arms in a useless attempt to calm him down.

"I'm so sorry," Harry sobbed into his hands. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry," he kept repeating. He rocked back and forth as his body erupted with broken sobs.

Louis wrapped his arms around the taller boy, rolling off of him and pulling him to his chest so that Harry's head was against Louis as he cried. "Don't apologize, love. It was just a nightmare. You're safe now."

"I'm sorry, Lou. I'm so stupid. This is so stupid," Harry rambled, completely humiliated. Leave it to Harry to ruin a perfectly good night. He could still feel himself shaking violently against Louis's firm body.

"You're not stupid," Louis assured Harry. His breath blew gently against Harry's curls when he spoke, making them float slightly off the boy's forehead. "Do you want to talk about it?" Louis asked softly.

Harry shook his head, still clinging to Louis for dear life. "I just want to go back to sleep." Harry wanted to sleep, but he was deathly afraid of going back inside of his head.