Part 1

It all started on the first day of school. My classes were not holding my attention very well so I tend to drift off into space. When I do I go to far away places with creatures that are forever different from the thinking's of others. These creatures are very real to me and seem to speak of their own accord. As I sit in class they taunt me to be different and distracting me from my work. It was so frustrating that I told the teacher and they sent me to the counselor. In the counselor's office I was terrified that they would send me to the loony bin. Then I was called in.

"Hello, my name is Mrs. Kessler. Would you like to tell me why you were sent to me, Miss Kane?" She said in a knowing voice looking at the little creature sitting on my shoulder.

"I have been getting picked on by some creatures that won't go away." I said quietly not sure if she would believe me.

She smiled sweetly and spoke calmly. "Well, you should know that the creatures you're seeing are not from our realm and that they are merely trying to interact with you. They are lonely and you are the first one to acknowledge them in centuries."

"How do you know all of this? Can you see them also?" I asked in desperation.

"I am one of these 'creatures' as you put it. We are lonely when we are in the half realm. Humans we are in contact with are often interesting. Interacting with them helps us from fading away." She replied.

"What are you?" I asked in horror.

"I am a Gyula. My natural form is much like that of the renaissance paintings of fairies." She explained as she changed form. After that, I blacked out from shock.

When I awoke, a small dragon like creature was laying on my chest. I jumped out of the bed, throwing the dragon on the floor, then I quickly jumped back in the bed, pulled the covers over my head and tried to forget the day, wishing I was home and it was all a dream.

"Little one, why are you hiding?" A deep voice said. "Is it because of me?"

I peeked out from under the blanket and looked at the dragon. "I thought I was crazy and now I know it's all real." I murmured in disbelief.

"Well, you can't go off making yourself insane or talking about this world." It said with a warning note in its voice.

I sat up and picked it up gently. "W-why were you on my chest?" I stuttered.

"To make sure you were fine. I am supposed to keep you healthy." It said matter-of-factly.

"And why is that?" I asked curiously.

"I would rather not say." It said, turning away.

"Okay... well what is your name? Mine is Fray." I said.

"My name is Nalu and before you ask I am a male." He said.

"Okay, then I have one question..." I replied.

"And that is?" He asked.

"Can you look human?" I asked him with a spark of curiosity in my eye.

"Yes, would it make it easier for you to talk to me if I changed to that form?" He asked me.

"I was just wondering." I said.

"I'll change to show you my human form." He said smiling.

He jumped from my lap and started to shimmer as he started to change into a human. He had long white hair with piercing grey eyes and didn't look a day over seventeen.

I sat there gaping at him in awe. "Wow." Was all I could say in that moment.

"You are getting used to me, that is good. You are my charge so I will always be around." He said, smiling as he pulled me to my feet. "Well it's time to take you home." He then picked me up and started for the window.

"Why are you going..." I didn't get to finish, for as I asked, he jumped out of the window then we were flying. I shut my eyes and held on tight.

"You can open your eyes now." Nalu said chuckling.

I opened my eyes to find we were standing in front of a castle. "Why are we here?" I asked curiously.

"This is my home. It will be where you live from now on." He said as he walked towards the castle gates.

"But what about my parents and siblings, they will worry about me?" I asked.

"There is no longer a need to see them... they no longer remember you." He said.

(744)