Chapter One

•Shailene's P.O.V•

I stand impatiently on the front porch waiting for my mum to quit talking to grandma and drive me to school.

Brody Dale's raw, husky voice blares through my earphones. The Distillers really are a great band. I look down at my feet, (Docs obviously), waiting for mum to kindly tell her my aunt to hang up the phone so she can drop me off at school. 

School, it's not the best, it's also not the worst. it's just, 'school', but it's better not to be late regardless.

"Mum, hurry up!" I exclaim, putting my earbuds back in, guitars blaring at the chorus of 'Dismantle Me'. 

Finally, for what seems like eternities, she locks up the front door and I start making my way towards the car. it's a new car, a red Suzuki hatchback, something that my mum would totally buy. 

Out of nowhere, a ringing sound, straight from a physics textbook, a Doppler effect, rings vibrantly in my ears. I turn my head to the left, but it's too late. My eyes catch the embarrassing moments split seconds before they happen. The Mailman, fully equipped with boxes and letters by his side, reaches for the breaks, screeching along the pavement, and crashes into me. School bag and all. 

Sometimes i wish the Earth would just open up and swallow me whole. 

____________________________