Doll house part 2

Authors note:

I know I said this will be a light hearted story, and it is, its just with a story as free as this I tend to write whatever idea that forms in my head, so apologies for the mood at the end of last chapter.

Echo didn't leave the roadside, not by his own desire at least, it was a member of the group that had bought him, that picked him up and carried the struggling boy to the campfire.

Cars are a rarity, even though these are solar powered alien designed cars, they are still only there as a 'need for speed' option, most people go around by walking, or have horses.

So as Echo sat sulking by the fire, with someone trying to force feed him some roasted food, a carriage pulled up, with two bay Clydesdale's, the driver smiled and called out names, Echo was hoisted up and gently thrown on board, it was similar to a gypsy cart.

Everyone joined as well as the other 6 children who jabbered to Echo incoherently, "you're all dumb!" Exclaimed Echo, the kids didn't understand him, Echo was a quick learner, plus he and Koda had always chatted, with Koda teaching him bit by bit, although Echo still needed to learn more. They stared at him confused only saying the words they knew, "hurt", "sad", "play", "food" such simple sentences, and Echo hated it.

The cart travelled along, the orange alien chatted to the others with a translator in its ear, one of the vampires tried feeding Echo some bread who hesitantly began to eat, he was starving after not eating for two days, but most of all he just wanted something to drink, noone gave him a drink though.

Their first stop was a town by a massive waterfall, there was so many fun things to do, at least for the non-humans, the human children played all sorts of games, Echo was a bit of a leader, teaching the others words, they listened to him, and as a child he felt powerful and awesome, but a little upset. The non-humans spent the week partying and drinking and giving the kids unhealthy food. On the day they were leaving one of the children were carried off, a little timber box being handed to her, she was set loose a far bit away, with her pedigree papers inside the wooden box, they didn't do it near anyone, they knew they would get in trouble.

They left the town and spent the next couple of days chatting and waiting, they passed through a massive reserve, and reached a small cluster of cabins, near a rangers cabin, the ranger would show them about the wildlife and land, here the young twenty something year olds couldn't drink and party, Echo and the others were still waiting and looking for the girl, and as they left this place, they managed to trick the ranger to take on the quieter of the humans, a boy who had a natural stutter, he was small and blonde, as the majority of these children were, this was their breeding after all.

The next stop went the same way, Echo was getting worried, he felt sick from lack of nutrition and was having nightmares of monsters eating the humans that had gone missing, with only three left including himself, Echo was getting very protective of the remaining two.

The next town had a major surprise for Echo, Koda was here, he was carried by his owner and gawked at Echo, "you look awful" stated Koda. The non-humans spoke, "hey guys, yea I know, I still want to celebrate fortama" stated Koda's owner, the others began expressing curiosity and bringing up various parts of the trip, still Koda's owner didn't overlook the state the humans were in, and how their numbers were halved, Koda was talking with Echo.

The owner tried tempting the others into selling Echo to him, they would have complied, if he hadn't accused them of abuse and neglect, a massive yelling match began, ending with one of the group grabbing Echo and his pedigree papers in the box and throwing him onto a truck, trucks are alien technology, hovering crafts that hold and protect huge loads, mainly animals, luckily this truck was heading to breeders, Echo sore and scared lay down and fell asleep.

The truck carried him to shutting down Doll houses, one of these was Echo's, he tumbled out and saw his mum, she was on the ground being put down, a crying baby lay beside her, Echo's mum only said two words, "family, go" Koda had told Echo what a family was, and he didn't understand what his mother meant.

The crying thing was not family, but he gave in and stole the baby before the workers knew what was happening, the truck was filling with young 1 to 3 year olds and was leaving, Echo followed it, annoyed and angry at the crying lump he was carrying, and he continued walking, despite his exhaustion, hunger and thirst, he knew he needed to find someone, so he finally collapsed at a house, someone called the local pet shop after seeing the pedigree papers, Goldie's was strapped to her by the workers at the breeding centre, the pet shop sent them off to a rescue house, to raise the baby to a decent age before taking her on.

Echo loved but hated her, until he taught her, she was a fun character, always giggling at everything and learning quickly, she already knew what family meant, she loved that word, he grew protective of the girl, she was the only family he had now, even though Koda had promised on that last day he had seen him that they would be family, Echo wasn't mad at Koda, he was just more careful around non-humans after that.