Chapter 1- The Anniversary

Dear diary,
This is it- the big day, nothing to celebrate though.
I dread this day every single year, but I guess anyone would, after all who would be happy about a loved ones "death" anniversary.

But I would be lying if I told you it gets easier; it really doesn't, I guess I just can't move on because I have nothing to move on from.
One day my sister was next to me, and the next she wasn't, just like that- gone.

Now I'm all grown up, and I decided to chase the dream of becoming a journalist,
Which means I move around a lot for new stories, interviews and all that jazz.
I'm not really left with much spare time to gather info about her disappearance,
I do everything possible when I get the chance, but I think I'm starting to lose hope, and that terrifies me.
I know one day I'll find the truth.

"Anddd done,
One day I'll find you Sis"
In that very moment I felt empty, useless even; how could I get through another year without knowing the truth?
I was angry at myself, I was angry at the world. Did no one know anything about that night? Is it all in my head?

As I wiped the tears from each eye I look at the old ticking clock on my wall suddenly remembering I have work in an hour.
I rushed around to look even a little presentable, brushed my hair and then left; I managed to catch a cab at the end of my street with a fairly high rate, but I was desperate so I couldn't afford to turn it down, a cab is a cab right?
The journey to the gates of hell was surprisingly peaceful, and not too bumpy, although I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not.
As I started to think about finishing my piece for the paper I slowly began to doze off, Not remembering that my destination was 3 blocks away.
As I slowly started to fall into a light slumber, the last five years were all that I could think about, it's not surprising really.

All I remember of the "dream" was that it felt more like a memory- of my sister.
I only remember a part of what she said.
Her exact words were,
"He's dangerous, and I'm not sure what he's—-"

"And that will be £15, please"

I woke up in rage and confusion, completely forgetting where I was or what I was doing there .
And then I remembered...
"Oh, right. Thank you, and have a nice day"

I stumbled out of the vehicle whilst trying to wake up fully

"Well, here goes another day at the office"

I took a deep breath as I walked in the building of my work. When I reached the reception I just stood there in silence contemplating whether I should take the elevator to my floor or just get a taxi back home and call in sick.
"Decisions, decisions" I thought in desperate hurry, but I knew I had to stay, it didn't matter if I was feeling low, i needed to finish this story.

So I took the elevator to the 16th floor, and slowly walked toward my desk hoping that somehow I would be sent home; a broken my leg, food poisoning, pretty much just anything to not be here on this day.

I had only just reached my office through the aisles of people, desperate to impress the chief with their words on paper. As I started to sit on the cracked leather of my chair I open my laptop to begin writing again.
I look out of my sky scraper window to see the view; it always calms me down.
Even on this day.
Just as I took a breath my boss walks in, and suddenly my calm aura disappeared in an instant.

"Good morning, Lara, how are you today?"
I took a deep breath and tried to smile through the pain of my actual thoughts, and what I really wanted to say.

"Oh, hey Anna, didn't expect to see you today. I'm good, how was your weekend?"
I said with a false smile and tone of excitement.

"It was wonderful! Was really nice to have a moment to myself" grinning as she told me more about her weekend, not realising that I was in my own world- but with a big smile slapped across my face, And then she said
"I came in quickly to see you actually, do you have a moment?"