Chapter 1

"Bailey, my name is Bailey," I murmured to myself as people constantly shouted in my face.  "Your name is Ellie!!  Named after Elizabeth Blackwell!!"  A woman took her turn, spit flying from her open mouth.

I cowered, tears stinging my eyes. 

"That's enough," a woman reprimanded.  All voices stopped as a white uniformed middle aged woman walked into the room.  "Come with me my child," she took my hand and drew me close to her, "How old are you?" 

"Nine, and where's my brother?" I meekly replied.  "He's fine.  Would you like to meet the other children?"  She asked.  I nodded my head, silent. 

We walked along the polished white corridors until the sound of cheerful laughter hit our ears.  "Right this way," she opened the door and ushered me in, "By the way, I'm Ava.  Nice to meet you Ellie."

I turned around and glared at her as she slammed the door.  All the girls stopped chattering and looked at me.  One of them, a blonde, approached me, "Hi I'm Lizzie!  But they keep calling me Sonya.  What's your name?"

"Bailey," I replied, "And they call me Ellie."  "Nah, I like Bailey better!  I don't understand why they give us fake names, they're just so silly!!  They even named my older brother Newt!  I suppose after Issac Newton, but still, it's all so silly!  They took him away a long time ago, I only see him when he sneaks over."  Lizzie talked on excitedly, her British accent very noticeable, "How old are you?"

"Nine, how about you?" I gave her a small smile.  "Me too!!  Oh we're going to be great friends, I just know it!!"  She laughs.  Some of the other girls sneak over cautiously.  "Girls, this is Bailey!" Lizzie squealed.  "Hi," they all reply. 

"Do you want some lunch before we go to our classes?"  A tall girl asked me.  "Sure," I shrugged my shoulders and walked towards a table laden with food.  All the girls crowded around me and pestered me with questions. 

"All right all right all right!!!"  Lizzie shouted, "One at a time!!  Let's let the lady eat, then she can tell us her life story!"  I gave her a grateful smile and gulped down my food. 

After I was finished, I wiped my mouth, took a drink of water, and settled into my chair, "So when I was about three years old, my parents moved my twin brother and I to Denver because of The Flare and they didn't want us to catch it.  They didn't stay with us cause they had the sickness.  Long story short, WICKED found us soon after and were apparently keeping tabs on us.  I'm not exactly sure why they took us, something about being immune."

"Wow, that's an interesting story Bailey!  I'm so sorry that your parents caught The Flare."  Lizzie gave me a sympathetic smile.

"It's ok I guess, I never really knew them anyway.  It's always been my brother and I."

•••

"As you all know, you must communicate with your partner at least twice per day.  The pairs of names will be listed at the end of class."  The monotone voice of the man at the front of the classroom droned on.

My mind began to wander when my eyes rested on the boy sitting a few desks away.  He had short, light brown hair, the strangest shaped eyebrows, the greenest eyes I'd ever seen, and freckles that complemented his ruddy complexion.

He seemed to have noticed my staring eyes, for he returned my stare with a wink and smirk.  I blushed and turned back to the lecture.  But to no avail, for my thoughts were now captured by this unusual boy,

"Before I dismiss you all, let me read off the partner names."  The teacher pulled a sheet of paper from his desk.  As he read off the names, the assigned pairs got into a line.  "...and Ellie."

My head snapped towards the front of the room, I wasn't listening to what he was saying.  As I walked to the line of neatly arranged children, the boy who'd caught my attention stood next to me.

"So you're Ellie, nice to finally meet you."  He held out a hand for me to shake.

"I'm sorry, who are you and how do you know who I am?"  I furrow my eyebrows.

"Because the teacher called your name.  Plus I'm your brother's roommate."

I was about to respond, when the teacher began speaking again, "You will begin your communication tomorrow morning at 9am.  Don't forget that this is a graded assignment."

"I gotta go to my next class, see ya later Ellie!"  Gally smiled and walked out as the buzzer rang.  I packed up my supplies and headed out as well.

A/N:

Hope you like this story so far!!  Sorry the first chapter is so short.  I'll make up for it next chapter with a nice 1500+ words I promise.  Leave a vote or comment if you want!! XXX