Chapter 2

One year later

"Mr. Galilee," the instructor called him from his daydream, "Eyes up here please, not at Miss. Blackwell."  Gally glared at the adult and pulled his face toward his paper.  I blushed and smiled as I caught him stealing glances in my direction.

"We have about 10 minutes left in class, so it's time for a pop quiz on the PFC."

Everyone groaned as they took out fresh pieces of paper.

•••

"That was some show you put on back there Gally," Minho chuckled and grabbed his shoulder.

"I gotta make my intentions towards my girl clear for all those guys to see."  He grinned and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"What makes you think I'm your girl?"  I smile up at him as he plants a kiss on my cheek.

"Ok guys ok guys, I will protect my sister if I have to."  Paul, my twin brother, rolled his eyes.

"Chill Paulie, you're not the only one who wants to protect Elle."  Gally mischievously raised an eyebrow.

"Are we getting together with the group tonight?"  I asked the boys.

"Yeah I'm pretty sure, but I may be a little late cause I have to finish trimming the hedges outside," Gally replied.

I had the closest family bond with these kids ever.  Paul, Gally, Newt, Sonya, Thomas, Teresa, Minho, Harriet, Alby, and Chuck.  We all had a fire that couldn't be extinguished.

Some of them were taken to WICKED when they were very young, I was fortunate to not be taken until I was nine, one year ago.  But we knew we had to get out.  Things didn't work out last time, we got caught trying to escape and got punished.

They were building something, something big.  We didn't exactly know what "They" were doing, except for something that was continuously said, "WICKED is good."

"Ok, well I gotta go, I'm supposed to meet Harriet and Sonya before chores."  I reluctantly sighed.

"Bye little sister," Paul chuckled.

"ONLY BY TWO MINUTES!!"  I yelled back and tried to give him my sternest face.

"Love you little one," he yelled in response.

I rolled my eyes and walked in the direction of my chores.  Sometimes it got on my nerves having an older twin brother.  Other times I wouldn't trade him for all the supplies any of the survivors could give me.

Harriet and Sonya were waiting for me by the time I reached our meeting spot.  "Glad you could finally join us!"  Harriet teased.

"It's those boys I tell ya, you can never get away from them!"  I laughed in response.

"Was my brother with them?"  Sonya asked.

"Yeah he was, you should come join us!  I know everyone would love you."

"I wish I could, I'm just not as brave as you.  Although if someone ever tried to hurt Newtie, I'd be there in an instant!"  There was a mix of fear and passion in her face.

"Not to draw you guys away from your very interesting conversation, but if we're going to make a plan about the pranks, we'd better do it now."  Harriet interrupted us.

"Right right," Sonya and I said in unison.

The three of us were going to prank our logistics teacher, Mr. Janson, although basically all the kids here called him Rat Man.  He was... how do I put this nicely... imagine a wasp was constantly stinging you in the same spot.  That's how it feels to be around him.