Chapter 3

I was getting jitters, formally meeting Gally with known mutual feelings was nerve wracking.  But I'm gonna do it if it kills me!!  I stole one of the uniforms and made some adjustments to it, since I had all day free to do so.  I wanted to look nice for our meeting.

Once finished, I tried my outfit on for size, it fit wonderfully.  I now had a cute dress to add to my plain wardrobe.  I only hope Gally likes it.  I'm sure he will, I have to stop over thinking things.

There was literally nothing to do since everyone was confined to their rooms.  I paced around my space, contemplating what I was going to say.  I wasn't sure whether to play everything cool or freak out and be really excited.

What felt like years later, the alarm for dinner rang and everyone's doors were unlocked.  I searched for any of my friends' familiar faces in the crowd of children, but only Paul was there.

"They still haven't come back."  He had a worried look on his face.

"I'm sure they're fine.  Maybe they're already in there?"

"Yeah, you're probably right Ellie."

"Aren't I always?"  I teased and poked him.

"Of course," he rolled his eyes and squeezed my shoulders.

There were guards by the doors into the dinning hall that were organizing everybody into two groups, boys and girls.  Paul and I stayed as close as we could to each other, but we ended up being separated.  Why were they all of a sudden treating us like animals?  What's going on that they're not telling us?

Janson was on the other side of the doors and opened them, hushing us.  "I'd like your attention please.  Hello!!  Thank you.  So, as each of you walks in to get your food, you will be marked on the back of your neck.  It won't hurt too much, the hard part was already done to you when you arrived here.  Please everyone, single file."

Murmurs spread through the crowd like wildfire.  The guards at the door began pulling people through while marking them.  When it was my turn, I lifted my hair out of the way, and I felt a vibrating sensation on my neck.  Then I was shoved into the room with the rest of the kids.

When I put a hand to the back of my neck, I felt a pattern I didn't recognize.  With a shrug, I grabbed a tray and let the cook slop some sort of brown oatmeal like concoction onto the gleaming metal.  Paul was sitting at a table with Charles, but everyone called him Chuck.

"Do you think they... got rid of them?"  Chuck had wide eyes as Paul explained why Thomas and the group wasn't with us.

"I don't think so, Janson said something about speeding up the process, what that is I have no clue."  I added and sat down.

"Oh, okay."  Chuck seemed to calm down a little.  "But they won't be back soon?"

"I'm not sure.  I really hope so though."  I hugged him tightly.

The events of the day played in my head.  Was there something I could have said that would have changed anything about Janson's choices?  Probably not.  If he hurts a hair on any of their heads, I'll kill him myself.

The overhead speakers crackled and came to life.  "Hello subjects, I hope everyone is enjoying their dinner.  Instead of going straight to your nightly duties, you will be relieved of them tonight and are instructed go back to your rooms until the bell tomorrow."

Quiet murmurs and a nervous buzz sifted through the room.  The voice over the speaker continued, "If anyone is found out of their room, they will be severely punished."

Hopefully when I meet up with Gally later no one will see us.  I wouldn't want to see what their form of punishment is, especially since their 'warning' was Minho almost having a heart attack due to fear of those things the scientists created in the lab.  I see glimpses of them every once in a while, and they give me the creeps.

Dinner was over sooner than usual, must be cause of earlier.  Everyone was filed back into their rooms within minutes.  This was my time to get ready to meet Gally.  I slipped on the dress I'd been hard at work on and fixed up my hair.

Before the guards had closed my door entirely, I'd stuck a piece of paper in between the locks.  Luckily for me, all the doors in the facility were soundless.  I made sure the coast was clear before creeping out of my room.  The fluorescent hall lights flickered, casting oddly shaped shadows on the wall.

Gally and I usually met in the garden, it was just outside the wall, and was a really beautiful spot.  When I finally arrived there, no one was in sight.  Was I early?  We always met at 7:30 on the dot, unless otherwise discussed.

I found a nice little spot next to the wall and decided to wait.  A cool breeze blew through some of the trees that were planted around me.  Something must have kept him a little later than usual, I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

I must have been waiting at least an hour or more.  I didn't notice the tears welling up into my eyes until I swallowed and felt the lump in my throat.  He forgot about me.  Or else this was some kind of sick joke.  He would never leave me out here for no reason.

"Who's there?!"

Oh no.

"I said who's out there!?"

A large spotlight started to sweep through the garden.  I stood up and pressed my body against the brick wall and hoped that I'd blend in enough so that no one will see me.  My heart began beating out of my chest as the light came closer.

Before I even knew what was happening, there was shouting on the wall above me, and the spotlight was shone onto me.  An alarm sounded and I knew I was found out.  There was only one word that crossed my mind before I moved, RUN.

I forced my legs to move, it was only a short way back to the door.  As I was running, I heard footsteps behind me and snapped my head around to see how many pursuers I had.  There were four armed guards with two dogs each at their heels.

The large, metal door was looming closer, fifteen feet, twelve, eight.  I sprinted safely inside, but I wasn't out of danger yet.  The alarm continued to ring as I bolted down the hallway.  The huge rottweilers were close on my tail and my body burned, but I kept running.

A figure suddenly blocked my path.  I skidded to a halt and horror struck my face, it was Rat Man.  He forcefully grabbed my shoulders and threw me against the wall.  I tasted blood in my mouth and tried to resist.  The dogs caught up to me and barked menacingly at me.  I began to cry and my vision blurred.

"Will you shut up!!"  Janson shoved me to the ground, face down.

I felt the cold shock of metal on my wrists and realized he had handcuffed me.  I began screaming and flailed my arms and legs in every direction.  It was no use, Janson continued to drag me away.

When we got to a place I didn't recognize, he loosened his grip on me.  "Fight all you want, no one's going to hear you."

"Why are you doing this?!  All I wanted to do was see Gally," I sobbed.

"Have some self-respect for pity sake Elizabeth."  He rolled his eyes and went over to a computer screen.  "You broke the rules, and I'm going to enjoy punishing you."

"No, please!  I'll do anything!!"  At this point the tears were coming down in steady rivers.

Janson walked back over to me and picked me up.  There was a metal chair in the corner of the room that he set me in.  My hands were locked individually into leather cuffs that were attached to the chair.  He then injected me with a translucent liquid that burned my skin.

My eyes began to feel heavy and I knew I wouldn't be able to stay conscious.  The last thing I remember Janson saying was, "When I'm done with you, you'll wish I'd killed you."

A/N:

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!  I'm sorry, I keep forgetting to update, I feel so bad.  I will try to have the next chapter up soon.  Comment and vote if you want!  See you in the next chapter!  Love y'all!!  XXX