CHAPTER 7: The Man and the Monster

CHAPTER SEVEN

The Man and the Monster

Later that evening, she lay on her bed in the darkness. She stared at the ceiling, feeling empty and listless. The room started to take on an ominous green glow. Glory looked at the ghost that she knew was waiting for her. She sighed and followed her down the hall, wondering what she would overhear this time. She crouched and peered through a keyhole.

“There is a stranger in our keep, Xander.”

Glory’s heart swelled. Eoghan! He was pacing with more agitation than she had ever seen before. His tail swung wildly.

“I believe him to be Colin, King Balthazaar’s royal falconer. He has come for Princess Glory,” Eoghan said. “I believe she was trying to go to him the night of the attack.”

“And you are merely going to let him take her?”

Eoghan’s ear twitched, as if a fly were buzzing inside. The ridge of fur along his sturdy back bristled. “She loves him, Xander. It is a war I can not win.”

“Try.”

Eoghan let out a low rumble.

“What girl worth having,” Xander reasoned, “has ever been won over without a good fight?”

“She has told me she has no love for me.”

Xander raised a finger, “Ah! That much may not necessarily be true. She came back, remember?”

Eoghan’s eyes fixed on Xander as he circled him.

“Give her the opportunity, and she may have something different to say.”

Eoghan’s ceres flared in a deep breath.

“Come now, boy,” Xander implored, “you cannot have anything beautiful or worthy in life without a fight. She knows you are her prince. The ruse is over. Now end hers. I believe she only pretends to loathe you.”

“What about the falconer?”

Xander’s expression darkened. He smiled.

Glory put her hand over her mouth to stifle a gasp. Colin was in danger. Not catch–and–release–somewhere-else danger, but very real, tangible, mortal danger. Glory had to warn Colin. She found him in a corner of the garden waiting for her as his letter had said, well hidden from passerby.

“Colin, you have to leave!”

“What on Earth for?”

Glory pushed him toward an exit. “You are in danger.”

“I told you that I would not leave without you.”

“Colin, now is not the time to be an idiot.”

“What in the world are you blathering on about, Glory?” He grabbed her arm firmly. “What’s gotten in to you lately? I see you less than I ever have before, and I feel like you are pushing me away.”

Glory tried to pull her arm from his grasp. “The gryphon has discovered you. If you do not leave now, you never will.”

Colin laughed. “Is that what this is about? Some mangy, old gryphon?” He took both of her arms in his hands, but more gently now. “I am not afraid of that big, bumbling creature.” His hand went to his black, jagged dagger. “I have Illyndiil!”

Glory swallowed and shook her head. “You do not understand.”

“What more is there to understand?” His grip tightened on her elbow momentarily. “I will get you out of here, Glory,” he said hoarsely.