Fallen Excerpt

A ONCE UPON A TIME LOVE

An excerpt from Fallen

Before he was a villain, he was just a prince…

Sylas woke under the stars to the crackle of a fire. A rabbit was roasting on a spit, dripping juices onto root vegetables over a grate. He moved to rub his forehead, but found his hands and legs tied to one another. His kerchief was stuffed in his mouth. He worked to spit it out and rested his aching head against a tree behind him. He wished he could move closer to the fire. The air bit into him. A smattering of blood crusted the thigh of his pant leg.

“Oh, good. Prince Charming’s awake.” The masked girl bent to Sylas. “Hungry?”

Sylas looked away indignantly.

The girl returned with a silver plate laden with a small offering of meat, cheese, vegetables, and a hunk of bread. Their shadows danced in the firelight.

“We want you to stay strong. Eat.”

Sylas rested his chin on his knees and stared into the distance.

She left the plate beside him and freed his hands. A lilt cradled her voice when she spoke. “Gods forbid you’re not strong enough to stave off a barghest or dearg due, should one come stomping through, because you didn’t eat supper.” She straightened and turned away.

“I thought you said you’d return me in one piece,” he muttered.

The girl swung round. A sparkle in her eye. “Count the hairs on your head, my prince. You’ll not find one missing.”

“But I’m bleeding.”

“It stopped. It was only a poison dart. The men get a little trigger happy at times. No one actually tried to kill you. You’re whining.”

Sylas’s lips puckered.

“Who knew our valiant prince was a big baby?”

“I’m not a baby,” he mumbled.

“Aw,” she teased. “Would the widdle pwince wike some bandages?”

Sylas lifted his chin. The muscles in his jaw tensed. “Yes.”

The girl shook her head with a soft laugh. She crouched beside him and drew a knife. Sylas jumped. “Relax, Charming.” Her voice was sardonic. “I’m not going to hurt you.” She began cutting at his hunting cape.

“What are you doing? This is my favorite cape.”

She locked eyes with him. “Do you want a bandage or not?” Sylas shut his mouth. She finished cutting the fabric, and slid the leg of his trousers up unabashedly. Sylas sat straight up. He inhaled sharply. Her touch was electric on his skin. He dared not move. She worked in silence, using a tin cup of steaming water to clean the small wound, then she bandaged it. She tied the bandage tightly and sat back on her heels. “There.” She looked up, gazing into his wide eyes.

Sylas swallowed. Butterflies fluttered in his stomach. Words could scarcely form on his lips. “Thank you.”

“You’ll likely be whoozy tonight as the poison wears off. Eating will help.” She straightened.

“It’s a bit low, don’t you think? People stopping to aid a girl in trouble only to be robbed and ransomed.”

“Not my fault you blurted out your title, Your Highness. You’re…”

“Handsome? Daring?”

She placed her hands on her hips. “Reckless.”

“Reckless?”