4 Years Later...

It was the summer before 8th grade. I was with my best friend at the league games. When I saw you. In uniform. #34. I didn't know it was you until I heard someone say your name. Your tall now. Like really tall. But your eyes haven't change at all. I saw you running down the court with the basketball. I had an urge to cheer for. But I didn't. I sat silently. And watched from the bleachers. After your game was over I was walking to the restroom. When I saw you drinking from the water fountain. I was walking in out of the restroom when you saw me. I know you saw me. I felt it. But you looked away. I knew it would be different when we got older. I knew I didn't want to remember. I shouldn't have. But I couldn't resist. It was the happiest moment of my 13 year old life. I could tell you tried to forget. The way you turned away. I'm going to forget now too.

I can't forget. Not even for a second. I wish I could. I still go to league games to watch you. But when you aren't in the game you're flirting. One girl after another. It's like a kissing booth but instead it's a flirting booth.

I found out something today. I learned that you like to try to date high school girls. How's that working out for you? I also heard that you've only dated one girl who is actually the same age as you. And you don't date girls younger than you. I'm starting to think you're a player. I guess I'm out. I'm a year younger than you, but in the same grade. Well if you're wondering I've never dated or flirted with anyone. I've only had a summer lust, and that was... well you.

It's been a month since I've seen you, but that's all gonna change. We are both going to the same basketball camp. This is going to be awkward. For me. My best friend is at camp with me. She's noticed without us knowing it. When I'd make a shot. You'd make a shot. When you'd miss a shot. I'd miss a shot. We would shoot baskets in unison. I thought it was creepy. She thought it was the power of love. It was supper break that whole week we saw each other at the gas station getting food. That whole week we got done eating early and went to the gym. Keeping our distance. Making sure not to get too close. There were a couple close calls. You trying to make small talk. I'd just run away and blush in a corner. I felt like a kid. You caught me sliding down the walkways. I'd get up and act like I wasn't just doing that. You'd laugh. I'd run away.

I silently cried in my head when you flirted with other girls. Your eyes silently watched as you flirted. You knew why I was so quiet. You knew that I am never quiet. But you just simply watched.

Today was awards day. We both got trophies. We both had to be in a picture for the newspaper. You had to sit right beside me. It was uncomfortable. Touching you. You touching me. I just wanted to hit you, but couldn't. You were my one and only crush. I guess that's why they call them crushes, it crushes your heart when they don't feel the same way.

You probably don't know this, but I fell hard for you. I'm crushed.