Chapter 16

Victor's phone rang, waking him up from his sleep. He was lying in the futon next to the window while Sam was asleep in the inflatable bed a few feet away. The television was on, bathing the room in the red glow of the zombie game they had been playing a few hours ago.

The phone rang again, it was Seyi. Victor picked up, "miss me? "
"Where are you?" Her husky voice rang out.

"Lying dead drunk in a gutter."

"We are way behind on schedule and that bodyguard of yours won't say a word about your whereabouts."

"Haha, you wont get a word from Segun."

"Don't ruin this."

"I'm the star of my own show, how bad can it get?"

"Any drop in ratings and the people I work for wouldn't be smiling any longer", she said, her voice turning hard.

Victor turned his neck and looked at the paused game on the television; a sniper was shooting a pack of zombies. He yawned and stretched.

"Have you ever seen a zombie?"

"What?"

"A zombie, a walking dead."

"What has that got to do with this?'

"That's what you all want to see; a human playing a zombie."

Seyi laughed, it sounded more like a cackle. "A good reality show doesn't necessarily mean a good experience for those involved."

"You see? My zombie theory."

Seyi was silent for a moment, Victor heard voices in the background; she was talking to someone. Finally, she said, "I'm going to find you and you better be in some good shit." The line went dead.

Victor groaned and packed his locks into a bun. He got off the futon and walked to the window, the moon was full and large in the sky. He checked his watch, it read a minute past ten. He took his jacket and walked to the wardrobe at the far end of the room. He opened it, took out a white sheet, covered Sam with it and made for the door. Sam muttered something and turned but didn't wake up. Victor quietly walked out of the room and closed the door behind him. He walked out of the building and called a cab.

Thirty minutes later, he got out of the cab and paid the driver who hadn't even spared him a glance throughout the ride. The sleepy eyed driver drove off after mumbling a thank you.

Victor walked towards the club, he could hear the music even from where he stood. He wondered how loud it would be inside. Two huge scar faced bouncers blocked his way but they moved back when they saw his face. The one on the left opened the door for him and Victor entered.

He walked down three steps and took in the view; the club was dark except for the strobe light splashes that revealed dancing, writhing bodies. The music was loud, so loud that he could feel his chest vibrating with every beat.

He turned left and began to climb the wooden stairs that led to the raised platform where the V.I.P section was. He walked through a thick throng of people smoking and drinking. He heard someone call his name but ignored them. He made his way to the bar and sat on a stool.

"Hey, Johnny", he said.

"Vic, my man." Johnny smiled and shook his hand. "What would you be having?"

"Just a light stuff, I don't want to go far."

"Alright", said Johnny. He got a small green bottle from the shelf and a chilled glass. He poured the contents of the bottle in the chilled glass and stirred. He then added sparkling water and orange slices.