Chapter 27

Victor didn't sleep. He couldn't. He needed to. He was exhausted and he had a studio session with Jones the next day, but there were bright flashes in his head when he closed his eyes and he wanted nothing more than to watch Cass sleep.

The way her shoulders fell and rose silently, like lazy waves of a calm sea. And the pleasant sounds of her breath, like a summer breeze. A slice of moonlight cut across her hair, turning it a dull silver. Her hands were small and delicate in his. He rubbed her glossy fingernail with his thumb.

His mind searched for lyrics, words to string together to describe the moment, but nothing came. He couldn't think of anything but her palm grazing his skin.

He ached to tell her how he felt but he couldn't trust his mind to find the right words. Downstairs, a door opened and moments later closed. He pressed his nose into her bed sheet and breathed in deep. It was fresh and warm from their body heat and it smelt of Cass. Victor opened his eyes. He felt content watching her sleep. He still hadn't slept when the sky lightened and it was dawn.

Victor disentangled his hand from hers and she rolled over and moaned softly as if in protest. Her short Afro was disheveled. The hair around her temple and forehead fascinated him; it was curly and a lighter shade of black. Even her morning face is beautiful, he thought. He smiled and got off the bed. He padded softly to the window and watched the lightening sky. The sun had started peeking behind the clouds. He breathed in the crisp morning air. He had never felt this content.

He searched for lyrics in his mind.
Rosemary and thyme / darling bud of summer / I'm falling into you, you, you.

Then, the alarm rang.