Escape

That night I tried to sleep but Luna's words kept repeating in my head. I have never seen outside the maze. The maze is a large stone construction that contains small houses that the less dominant humans live in. There is only one way in and out the maze and it is usually heavily guarded by Dedogs, no one has never gotten out. I have always dreamed about the outside of the maze. A beautiful place were dogs run as packs and are free and wild and there are no humans left only peace and harmony. Large rushing rivers and long lush grass tall trees growing up into the heavens. Rabbits and deer and other woodland creatures, our food, our prey. Dogs could become wolves again. Dogs could be free...

I awoke from the sound of Luna's voice "It's time" I stood up stiff, I stretched out my muscles rippling in anticipation. I was finally going to be free, I could finally be a wolf again.

We set off towards the east boarder of the maze ,human pups ran to there parents and the parents led them inside. I could smell there fear. We padded on through the maze Brutus at the lead followed by Luna, myself and three other dogs. Suddenly Luna stopped, she sniffed the air, that was our signal. Brutus turned "what is it 1167". Luna turned to him. "I smell blood. There maybe trouble that needs to be exterminated"Her eyes were bold and she started to snarl, but I knew it was fake. Brutus looked back at her " Ok take 1189 with you ,may you not hesitate or who will be punished". I sighed in relief. 1189 was my code name. I started to snarl and grin, it was a hard thing to do. Luna and I started to creep into the long back street of the maze. We walked along for about five minutes and then we stopped. Luna looked at me " Ok this is the worst part". She looked at me with large blue eyes. " we have to get the tracker out of the back of our necks other wise they will hunt us down and kill us, this will hurt". Luna bite the back of my neck open I tried not to yelp , it was so hard the pain was excruciating. Finally Luna removed a small black box from my neck, I sighed in relief. "Now you need to get mine out". Luna looked at me, her gaze was strong but I could smell her fear. I looked back at her and spoke. "How do I know were it is" I hadn't spoken to Luna for a while, ever since what happened to the female dog on Brutus's pep talk. Luna replied saying " It's just before the muscles you know where that is" I nodded and Luna laid down to make it easier for me. I bit down slowly, Luna winced but I kept going. Finally I retrieved Luna small black box, Luna's white pelt was stained pink with blood but she soon got her energy back. "Ok" said Luna " Now all we have to.." She was interrupted by the screaming howl of Brutus,his eyes glowing red in the sunlight. I was paralysed, Luna shoved my shoulder and I turn she had disappeared throw a small opening in the ground. I sprinted in after her. There was lots of pathways but I still had a nose unlike Brutus so I followed Luna's scent behind me was Brutus's ear piercing yowl.

I ran and ran and ran. I don't know how long I ran for but at the end of it Brutus's bark had disappeared but I could no longer smell Luna. Suddenly Luna jumped out of the shadows

"Nook are you ok". I lowered my back fur, I was sticking up like a porcupine, what ever that is. "I'm fine but how do we get out of here" my voice came in short gasps. " This way". Luna slipped into the shadows and I bounded after her. It felt like we had been walking for miles then finally the tunnel started to widen and a light started to show. We burst out into the air and looked around. What came to my eyes horrified me more than Brutus. All I saw was death....