Walking.

My pads were swollen and cut, but Luna's pace never slowed. The pure determination in her eyes. A whimpered and she turned around and looked at me. " I'm sorry Luna, I have to stop". Luna looked up at the sky. The sun was almost ready to set, it's orange glow trying to brighten the sight of the pain and destruction. That's all we have seen throughout this journey. Nothing alive, nothing moving, but you always felt as if you were being watched. "Ok Nook we can rest until morning if we can find a safe place to stay but, that means walking a little longer". I thought it through in my head. A long rest would do my pads wonder. " Ok" I replied. Luna turned her head and we set off again.

We walked for another 20 minutes or so, by that time I was shattered. We had arrived at a large pile of stones in the shape of a square with a triangle on top. " What is that?' I asked Luna. She stared at it and spoke softly. "That is a house. Humans used to live in them before the war. They were warm and cosy and if you were lucky they would have a fire. I lived in one with my boy Jacob. I turned my head, confused. "You lived with the humans?". Luna turned to me, her eyes woeful and sad. She padded off towards the 'house' and I padded after her. Luna sniffed around, looking for something. I found something a little worn but still softer than the floor. Suddenly I heard a thud and a quick yip of excitement. Luna trotted up to me carrying a small metal tin."You hungry?" Luna asked. "Starving". Luna bit down on the tin and the top of it went flying off. Out of the tin dripped and sticky almost yellow liquid followed by some large chunks of yellow fruit. "Peaches for dinner tonight" smiled Luna. She took one in her mouth, chewed a little then swallowed and sighed. I bit into a piece. It was like when I was a pup and I got special treats in the maze. After we had finished them we layer down together on what Luna had explained and called a rug. A I looked at the last glimpse of the sun and snuggled into Luna's fur my mind drifted into sleep and i kept thinking about paradise and what we would find there.

Brutus had gone through the painless assembly of his new parts and was rather or should I say, very pleased with the outcome. Brutus headed out towards the large metal gates. Slowly the rusty old lock clanked into action. The gates creaked open and Brutus saw what many others hadn't in a long, long time as he walked out the gat. A sight that pleased Brutus, it was the sight of death...