2

< R.K >

About 30 minutes into practice the stadium was filled with parents and scouts, even news reporters. They requested the players one by one as practice continued. Coach called the guys in to practice out one of the new plays. "Ivory and Chávez, you guys are on defense. Mike, Miles, and Billingsley offense. I want to see fast movement."

All what Reyna did was help the guys understand the new play and answer stupid questions the reporter was asking everyone else. She watched as Mike hand the ball to Don but Ivory tackles him before he got past the 50 yard line. Reyna winced as he coughed from the tackle, "alright get up Don, huddle please." She asked and got the white board.

Once Don stood up, she noticed Charlie, Billingsley's dad, walk up onto the field. To catch his attention Reyna yelled out, "Red alert. Red alert everybody." Don didn't get it but once his dad started talking he widened his eyes. "Hey, Donnie. Hey." He tried to not listen but his dad just raised his voice. "Come here. Come here. What's the problem?" Don walked up to him closely. "Get off the field, dad." Donnie tried to ignore the question.

"Why can't you hold on to the football? What's so goddamn hard about holdin' on to it-?"

"I'm sorry."

"All you gotta do is hold on to the goddamn football, and you can't do it." Reyna felt bad for him, the group was just standing and waiting until they were done. "All you gotta do is hold on to the goddamn football, and you can't do it-" Reyna noticed Don's mom walking onto the field.

"Tell me why you can't do it. Just tell me. That's all I wanna know." Don wanted to leave and head into the group badly. "I'll try better next time." That was all he said and started to walk away. "Come on." His mom tried pulling Charlie back to the stands. "Hey!" He walked up to Don and pushed him into the floor. Reyna dropped her stuff and started walking over and onto the field. "Charlie!" His mom then tried again to pull him away.

"Don't you walk away from me." Charlie grabbed him and pushed him back to the ground. Reyna ran in front of Charlie before he could do something else. "Leave him alone." She looked at him dead in the eyes. He only pushed her away. "Don't you walk away from me when I'm talkin'to you, you hear me?"

Don got back up and was about to do something but Reyna got in between them again and tried pushing Charlie away. "Enough!" Was all she could say before Charlie punched the helmet. Reyna was fumed by this point. "It's the first day of practice. This is practice. Seriously." Charlie looked like he was about to punch him again but luckily security guards came out and pulled him away. "Embarrassin' me out here. Jesus Christ."

She looked for Don and helped him back up. "It's all right Don." She smiled at him as he looked like he wanted to cry. "Thanks Reyna." He smiled and started blinking them away. They both started to walk towards the group, this time without anyone going onto the field.

Once Reyna got back to the middle, she started discussing about the play. "Slot right, was horrible." She pointed onto the white board and made a few changes. "Billingsley, you ain't gotta worry about holdin' on to the ball, man." Boobie backed out of the group a little. "Why's that?" Was all that Don said while looking down.

"Cause you ain't gonna get the ball, your job is to be blockin' for Boobie. I don't care if your daddy is over there cryin'." Reyna wasn't paying attention to them since they always bicker at each other. Don then tackled Boobie, "You never shut up, do you?" Don then tried to throw a punch but was pulled away from him.

Reyna sighed, then dropped her board and ran over to Boobie to help him up. "Think before you speak bud." She giggles as he shook his head. "Thanks Reyna, I'll keep that in mind." He then walked away to grab a drink. Reyna then walked towards Don, Mike, Ivory, and Chávez. "After this you guys want to go out and grab a bite?"

Mike looked at her and silently thanks her for changing the mood. "Yeah, how bout it Don? You up for it?" Chávez said while smiling a little. Don then nodded his head "Sure."
Coach then blew his whistle "Huddle up and take a knee everyone." Reyna then walked towards the group and tried to focus on what Gaines was saying but spaced out of boredom.

Then, everyone stood up and formed a circle "Alright I want to see it clean but firm!" Gaines yelled and then blew the whistle again. One by one, the guys entered the circle and tackled each other. Reyna sometimes cheered but also winced when they couldn't get back up. Finally, practice was over and as the team head into the locker room to change, Reyna waited outside.

Word Count: 861