Chapter 5

"So how was it Em?", Diana asked me nudging my shoulder and wriggling her eyebrows.

"Ugh, it was horrible!", i whined as i grabbed my tech books from my locker.

"How do you mean?!", She asked seemingly startled.

"You know, as good looking as he is, that boy is a real bitch", i groaned.

"Well maybe you should give him a chance Em. Maybe something is going on at home that is upsetting him. I think you should get to know him before you say anything", she suggested.

"I guess, but he's so hard to talk to!", i whined once again. "I think the only word he knows how to use is whatever".

Diana giggled, which resulted in me giggling. It was quite embarrassing.

As we made our way to tech, we passed by George and his group of friends. I looked up and smiled at George, earning an emotionless stare from him. Weird.

"Did i just see you smile at George Shelley?!", Diana gushed, smiling widely.

"Nooo", i blushed, looking away and smiling to myself.

"Oooo!! Emily and Georgey sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!", she sang making kissing noises at the end.

"Shut up!", i whisper yelled to her, but she just laughed.

"Whatever lets just go to class", she said still laughing.

I took a deep breath, trying to take the redness out of my cheeks as i thought about George.

Was Diana right? Was George the way he was because of something outside of school?

<><><><>

"See ya later alligator!", i yelled to Diana as she hopped in her car and drove off while waving to me.

Well, there goes my ride.

I decided to sit on the bench outside and just take in the autumn air, the wind slightly ruffling my neatly combed hair.

As i closed my eyes, leaning my head back a bit, i heard the familiar sound of George's perfect voice.

'Give him a chance Em. Get to know him better before you say anything...'

Diana's voice kept repeating in my head, over and over. This was it, this is my chance.

After about 5 minutes of mustering up enough courage to go up and talk to him, i finally stood up and walked slowly in his direction.

I cleared my throat as i stood behind them, before reaching up and tapping George's shoulder.

He quickly turned around to face me, making my heart beat a mile a minute.

"Uh hi George", i smiled, fiddling with my charm bracelet. I had a tendency of doing that when i got nervous.

"Oh hey. Emily right?", he said.

"Uh yeah-"

"Hey see ya later man!", one of his friends said as they left him alone with me, getting in they're car.

He just waved and turned back to me.

"Uh yeah so i was wondering if you wanted to walk to my house instead of getting a drive", i quickly said, tapping my foot and biting the inside of my cheek.

"Uh....sure", he said checking his watch before following me down the street.

We walked in silence for about 6 minutes before i broke the awkwardness with a small cough.

"So, um, George. What's your favourite.... colour?", I asked him, getting an odd look.

"My favourite colour? Really?", he asked raising his eyebrows at me.

I looked down at my feet and sighed.

"Sorry for asking", i whispered loud enough for him to hear.

I heard him sigh a bit before clearing his throat.

"It's green", he reluctantly answered.

"Oh... Me too!", i lied.

"Really?", he asked.

"No. It's purple", i laughed, which made him laugh.

Oh my lord i am laughing with George.

"Okay okay, my turn", George said out of breath. "Umm, favourite song".

"Hm, defiantly bubblegum by rasheeda", i laughed.

"Your kidding me right? That song is bull shit!!", he gagged, making me giggle.

"Whatever, it's great!", i laughed.

"Alright then", he said.

"Anyway, my turn. What's your favourite food?", i asked him.

"Oh, this ones easy. Its defiantly spaghetti and bolognese-"

He stopped when a beat up truck pulled up beside us, the window rolled down so that i could see a drunk looking guy in the drivers seat.

George stopped dead in his tracks and stared at the man.

"George?", i asked, nudging his shoulder. "George?!".

The man spit out some of what looked like tobacco and turned to George, taking a swig of his beer and speaking.

"Get in the car boy", he slurred, burbing at the end.

I looked at George's face and saw... fear?

He didn't say anything.

"I said get in the fucking car before i whoop your ass boy!", he yelled, trying to unbuckle his seat buckle.

"I-I'm going to my tutors house", George stuttered, taking a step back from the truck.

"What tutor? I don't see no fucking tutor!", he yelled.

I decided to speak up.

"I'm right here sir", i said stepping in front of George.

"Your tutoring him? Well good luck with this one, he ain't know shit", he slurred, taking another gulp of the vile liquid in his hands.

"Well i believe anyone is capable of doing anything if you work hard at it sir", i stated.

"Whatever, just get in the damn car George!", he yelled.

"I'm going to my tutors house mark!", George yelled back.

So that's his name. Mark.

"Now i told you to do something son so you better fucking do it!", he protested, throwing his bottle out the window, smashing it on the ground.

"I'm not your fucking son you dick!", George screamed.

And with that he took off.