Part 37 ∞∞∞ Nostalgia

The wheels clanked loudly on the rocky path down the mountain and I drew my sword. I watched silently as Hidan clasped his hands together and muttered his words to Jashin-sama. Kakuzu was wringing his hands into awkward angles, almost like testing the malleability of his metal hearts. I patted Zetsu on the head one more time before jumping on top of one of the carriages in the line. I only allowed one shout to ring out before all that saw me was no longer alive. Or able to talk. Hidan dropped next to me with a thumbs up as Kakuzu jumped down as well, killing the ox pulling the carriage in the process. I rolled my eyes in irritation as the carriage stopped and shouts came from all the way at the end of the line. Stupid. I thought as I gave Kakuzu a hating stare. He returned it.

"It's all FOOD," Hidan shouted, also glaring hatefully at Kakuzu now. Kakuzu didn't look at him or explain why we were killing people to stop food from crossing a border. I looked down at the box Hidan has opened. It was a basket full of instant ramen. I opened another case. It was full of grass. Plain grass. I tore open two more. They were full of dangos, all packed neatly into rows and each looking identical to the other. A kunai decided to soar towards me then. I slightly adjusted my footing and the kunai flew by my ears and landed neatly onto Hidan's neck. I smirked as Hidan whirled around, his face reddening in irritation and anger.

"Shinobis." Kakuzu muttered to me and I nodded. Hidan didn't say anything for once, maybe he was too busy taking out the kunai neatly lodged into his flesh. I looked over at him to find him eating dangos. I smirked and smacked him on the head, making him choke and fall off the carriage. Hidan gave me a middle finger and ripped out the kunai.

"Find him," Kakuzu ordered me and I laughed coldly.

"I'm not a dog." I snapped, peering at Kakuzu as he furrowed his brows in annoyance.

"Can you find him?" Kakuzu asked again, trying with a nicer tone. To be honest, he sounded like he was trying to have an arm wrestle with a mountain lion while drinking tea.

"You're doubting my abilities?" I asked him back and he clenched his fists.

"Can you help find him... for me?" Kakuzu said again, making the help sound more like I'll-kill-you-if-you-don't.

"For you?" I asked again.

"Can you help me find him?" Kakuzu finally correctly and I nodded in satisfaction.

"Um... can you help me find him?" Izumi pressed on, an eager expression on her face.

I looked over at the dangos.

"Just do it!' Kakuzu shouted at me and I snapped out of it. I didn't even bother wasting chakra on my byakugans. It's clear where the kunai came from. I jumped into the forest behind me and heard the movement. There was only one shinobi there. I followed the leaping shadow deeper in the forest, continuing the game of hide and seek.

"You don't have to run away. We won't kill you." I shouted at the shadow and it paused, not turning around to look at me. I jumped up to behind the shinobi and noticed his well built (masculine) form. I reached out to pat him on the shoulders, and just as he turned, he disappeared with a poof.

"Stupid shadow clones," I muttered as I activated my byakugans. He was becoming quite annoying. I detected his chakra instantly. It was screaming at me to detect it. I haven't felt it for quite a while.

"How nostalgic," I muttered as I followed the shinobi again. He was heading back towards the carriages.

"Kakuzu," I called to Kakuzu as I connected my chakra to his, transmitting my message directly to inside his head. "There's only one shinobi nearing the carriages. Konohagakure. Take off your Akatsuki cloak and tell Hidan to go with Zetsu to the bottom of the mountain and wait for us there. I'm currently following the one. He's near the carriages. Quick." I ordered with my mind but no response came. Stupid Kakuzu.