Part 44 ∞∞∞ Pawns

"Where did you go? You've been gone for more than half the day." Hidan complained from his position on the rock and I ignored him. "OI!" He called again but I didn't bother to answer him.

"You shouldn't run off by yourself anymore." Zetsu said to me and I laughed coldly. It wasn't like I ever intended to go off anywhere again. It's not like I'll be going to meet Orochimaru anymore. I thought and muttered a few inappropriate swear words that will pollute young people's minds.

I looked up at Zetsu who was still standing next to me. I sighed.

"I'm strong enough to fight off anyone that may attack me," I muttered quietly and Kakuzu rolled his eyes from behind me. "Is there anything wrong with that?" I whispered in a deathly tone, whirling around to glare at Kakuzu but he ignored me.

"Leader just sent a message at around noon. He said you and I are going with Deidara and Sasori on missions now. He wants Kakuzu and Hidan to do some "immortal" stuff." White Zetsu said with a tone of slight complaint and I silently nodded. I automatically reached to straighten my Akatsuki cloak but remembered I had shredded it a few hours ago. I tch'ed quietly.

Working with Deidara and Sasori, hm... I thought as I directed my thoughts away from the unpleasant events in the morning. I remembered the yellow-haired brat and rolled my eyes. There was no way I would get along with him. However, Sasori is a different matter.

"We're going to meet up with the two of them now." Black Zetsu said indifferently, taking control over White Zetsu and I nodded.

"See ya," I said to Hidan as I waved a careless goodbye and gave Kakuzu a silent look. Kakuzu ignored me. The cold feeling draped over me as I looked down at my clothes again. I had stolen some new clothes from a nearby town and ripped up my old ones, including the new Akatsuki cloak I got from Leader just a few weeks ago.

I followed Zetsu away and silently cursed Kakuzu. I wasn't in the mood.

"Forgive Kakuzu, he's just pissed that you decided to leave just when the leader contacted us. He doesn't want to be blamed." White Zetsu muttered and I patted him on the head absentmindedly, slightly wincing when I remembered the wound on my arm.

"I seriously wouldn't care less," I said quickly, trying to hide the wince as a cringe.

"Really?" Black Zetsu muttered under his breath and I gave him a glare. For some reason, I always felt like Black Zetsu could see through me in an instant. Almost like Uchiha Madara...

"You know, you've only been here for around two years and you have Kakuzu's liking." White Zetsu mused and I looked at him.

"Kakuzu's liking? I doubt that's a good thing." I retorted and Zetsu smirked. We stayed silent for a while as we dashed through the woods. I could feel my vision crumpling up but I tried to stay active.

We stopped for a while at a lake and I silently washed my wound without Zetsu noticing. The water carried away all traces of conflict and blood. I sighed as I laid down onto the damp grass.

"Sometimes I want to just have the Mangekyo Sharingan right now and kill him," I muttered to myself and reached up to the sky, stretching my arms until the pain snatched me away from the trance.

"Then get it. I'm sure Leader won't mind if you get even stronger." Zetsu said back from somewhere above me and I smiled. He'd always appear out of nowhere.

"Who do you think I'm closest with?" I asked and there was a moment before Black Zetsu answered.

"Uchiha Itachi."