Part 40 ∞∞∞ Kill him

"Like I told you, kill the man or don't return back to the base. When night fully falls, the temperature will be below freezing. You'll die if you stay out here." Orochimaru-sama said from above me and I looked at him.

"But... he... why can't he live?" I asked shakily and Orochimaru-sama laughed.

"He has committed sins you may never have thought of before. He was cast out by his own village into the wilderness and you shall have the honour of being his executor." He said for the at least fifth time this day and I looked down at the kunai in my hand.

"But... the blood... it'll get all over me if I use a kunai..." I explained, trying very hard to avoid killing the man.

"Do it! Or you may freeze to death out here. Your life or the man's. Choose." Orochimaru-sama finally spat out and walked away back towards the entrance of the base. It wasn't snowing yet but the winter night was already freezing cold. The thin layer clothes I was wearing stood no chance against the lashing wind.

"Kill me... I would rather die in the hands of a girl than the night." The man croaked out from where he was tied to the tree and I gulped.

"But... you're already hurt..." I whispered to no one in particular as the wind blew my away voice into the falling night.

"DO IT!" The man roared and I flinched. The man had just offered his own death with no hesitation or doubt. He wants to die. But I don't want to kill...

I looked at the man for a final time and saw his hardened face.

"I'm sorry," I whispered as I ran towards him with my kunai pointed at him and closed my eyes.

"AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" The man screamed in pain as my kunai pierced through his skin.

I jerked open my eyes to find the kunai landing a blow into the man's stomach. The blood rolled down my hands and I tried desperately to remove the kunai from the man's body.

"YOU MONSTER!!! JUST KILL ME!!! KILL ME!!!" The man roared as I finally pulled out the kunai and I flinched back again. The man grunted and yelled in pain in front of my eyes. And I caused it all...

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry..." I whispered again and again as I held the bloody kunai in my shivering hands. I covered my eyes from the scene and shivered at the smell of the red liquid flowing on my hands and onto my face.

"Ki—ll... me..." The man moaned weakly and I peered at him through my fingers. Why would he want me to kill him? Why... why do people want to die?

I walked towards the man again despite how my brain screamed at me to stop and held the kunai tighter with my hands. They were shaking even harder.

"Rest in peace..." I prayed for the man as I aimed for his heart. The kunai ripped through his clothes, his flesh, then into and through his pounding heart. Thump... thump... thu—

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I whispered again and again and knelt down in front of the dead body which hung limply off of the tree like a scarecrow on a cross. I sat there and stared at what I had done. I had so resolutely sworn that I would not kill this man only this morning. And here he is now. Dead.

"Good job," Orochimaru-sama said from above me and placed his hand onto my head. I looked up at him blankly and he smiled cruelly.

"Tomorrow, we will continue this practice until you are absolutely fluent in the process. This should take you no more than two seconds." Orochimaru-sama said and I nodded, my eyes wandering and hollow.

"If you continue your performance like this, I'm afraid some punishments will be ready for you." He said after a while of silence and I nodded again, this time getting up from the cold, bare ground and looked up at Orochimaru-sama again.

"I'm sorry." I apologized and bowed my head. I could hear Orochimaru-sama give out a little snicker before walking away. I stood there blankly for a second before following him back towards the base. My bare feet were already freezing at the cold, night wind and my hair frozen into stripes. But... my hands. I thought as I looked down at them. They were warm with the fresh blood and tainted pure red. The kunai in my hands were also dripping blood and I wiped it clean with my clothes. I stared at my reflection in the metal and let out a whimper.

"I'm sorry," I said again and hugged the kunai.

I'm sorry...