@genieinabook | Prompt 2 Aug'18

I'm Human

WARNING: Yet, this isn't a warning. This work contains abuse, strong language and mature content. But this isn't an excuse to ignore this story and sip away on your coffee. The only reason why I'm writing this warning is because I have to follow the law myself before I protest against it. To my elders, I sincerely beg your pardon for the language I used here.

Background story: Today, I watched a play for women empowerment by the Asmita Theatre Group at a seminar I attended. It was beautiful, yet watching it brought tears to my eyes. Some people even ran out of the auditorium in tears. This is adapted from the same story, edited and dramatised in my own words. Some facts have been made up.

I'm still human enough to feel the pain.....

I'm still human enough to caress the soul I contain.

Because I'm a woman. This isn't just my story. I'm speaking on the behalf of every girl and every woman who ever lived and are still living. And nobody seems to care. Mind you, none of these stories are mine. I'm going to throw the light on true stories of women in the society, that you thought was alright to ignore.

If I ask you, what is the safest place for you in the whole world? What will be your first answer? Home, isn't it? Unfortunately that's not true for us. Ever since my husband and mother-in-law found out that we were having a baby girl, they've been pestering me to get an abortion. But can a mother kill her own child? Isn't she a daughter herself?

'SUNITA!'

I open the door, trembling with fear.

'Yes?'

'Have you gone to the hospital as yet?'

'I will not go to the hospital'

'Have you lost your mind, woman? Every girl is a useless bundle of garbage like you. And you want to give birth to one? What will a girl bring you? Nothing. No daughter of mine works outside this house. A boy will bring you money. Who do you think will look after us when we're old?'

I feel like spitting at him. But I have my daughter to protect.

'I am NOT going to kill my child!'

'Stupid bitch, do as I say!'

'NO!'

A dangerous expression crosses his face.

'Fool, you just saved the doctors some work. I'm going to kill her myself'

I scream on the top of my voice, but in vain. He pushes me to the ground and kicks my pregnant belly hard, repeatedly, with all his might, heedless of my screams. When he's done, I'm a howling mess covered in blood. The only thing is, that this blood doesn't belong to me.

A paycheck is enough to attain independence. Right? Wrong. We don't have the freedom to step out of the house without any hesitation.
It's my first day at work and I'm a bunch of nerves today. My first job. I can't believe I'll be earning now, finally. I wonder if....

*Whistle*

I ignored him and walked on.

'Oh madam, where are you going? How about I drop you?'

'Please leave me alone'

'Leave you alone? Arey madam, how can I, when my heart is lonely in your absence?'

I jump into the nearest auto and sped away. A week went by and he kept leching at me everyday. So many people watch this, quickly look the other way and walk off, like nothing's happening. He turned up yet again on Monday.