Chapter 17

"Next time someone goes to the store, we really need more veggies. And milk." Steve closed the fridge and poured the remainder of the milk into a glass.

"Well, when you use it all, we have to get more," Loki replied in fake exasperation. "That's how it works." Steve rolled his eyes.

"Fine. Will it make you happy if I go buy it myself?"

"Thoroughly."

"I'll go this afternoon," Steve replied. "Anything you want? Want to come with?" Loki shook his head.

"It's too cold out."

"Loki, you're a frost giant."

"So I'm already always cold, and the weather isn't helping."

"I doubt that's how that works."

"You wouldn't know." Steve sighed and chose not to reply. Loki grinned.

"You sure you want to go today? It just started snowing," he said glancing outside. A few flakes flitted down in the sharp December air.

"We moved back to the city so we wouldn't have to worry about the snow. If we were still at the compound I'd stay home, but I can walk somewhere from here."

Six months had gone by in a flash. Loki felt he had made the right decision to stay on earth. His friendships with the Avengers had only grown. It had been the best six months of his life, he thought, though even he had to admit he had many fond memories from his childhood.

As fall had turned into winter, they had all moved back to Stark Tower. While cities were not new to Loki, New York City was. Even Steve knew it better than him, since the streets had not changed a great deal since WWII. He had gotten lost several times while just on walks alone. Luckily, the Tower was visible almost anywhere, and he could usually find his way back.

He enjoyed his walks around the city. Since it was December, he discovered quickly that this must be the holiday time on earth. It wasn't hard to miss. He was both bewildered and fascinated by the holiday customs. He quite enjoyed walking to see the huge decorated trees around New York City. Though he didn't see the point of them, he enjoyed looking at them.

Tony even gathered them all in the lounge the first weekend they were back at the Tower, and made everyone help put up a tree. By the end there were three broken ornaments, tinsel and glitter everywhere, and they couldn't quite get the angel to sit straight.

**********

On Christmas morning Loki got to the kitchen to find Tony cooking an extensive breakfast and singing what he thought was a ridiculous song.

"What in the world does 'decking the hall' mean?" he asked, annoyed. Tony stopped singing but remain stirring the scrambled eggs with his back to Loki.

"It's like decorating. You know, when you deck something out. And cheer up, it's Christmas."

"Which means nothing to me, we have different holidays on Asgard," Loki said. "However, I am quite looking forwards to dinner today."

"You'll love it, kid, I cook a mean ham. And besides, all today is about it being together. Enjoying and appreciating our family."

"Disgusting," Loki said, and Tony looked offended until he saw the smirk on Loki's face.

"Not disgusting. Sappy, maybe. Just enjoy today. We're your family and none of us ever take enough time to just be together." Loki didn't reply to this but he smiled to himself. Today was going to be a truly good day.

**********

Three days after Christmas, the Avengers were still basking in time off from work and the decorations that, per tradition, would probably be forgotten about and left up until February. Loki particularly liked spending his days wandering the city, where, if he pulled his hair back and dressed normally, he could walk unrecognized and enjoy some normality.

Loki liked the people he met in the city. He liked humans, in fact, more than he ever thought he could. He admired their perseverance and kindness despite living in what he thought of as a lesser society compared to Asgard.

He knew that if they knew who he was it would be a very different experience from convincing the Avengers he had changed, but he liked that, to them, he was normal. He had never felt normal before, and loved blending in with the crowd.

Loki's phone, a gift from Tony, buzzed and he pulled out if his pocket. He was getting a call from Steve.

"Hello?"

"Where are you?" Loki glanced up at the street signs on the corner.

"Fifth and fifty-seventh. I'm on my way back."

"Good. Hurry."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

"Your brother is here." Fear and apprehension shot through Loki. He hadn't heard from Thor since he had refused the offer to return home.

"What? Why?" Loki was already walking rapidly in the direction of Stark Tower.

"He won't tell us, he just wants to see you."

"Fine, I'm coming as fast as I can." He hung up without a goodbye and hurried even faster, slipping through crowds and sometimes jogging a few steps. Within ten minutes he was in the lobby of the Tower, and in the elevator soon after.

He found everyone on the top floor, standing around the bar. Thor wasn't actually speaking to anyone; he stood away from the group staring out the floor to ceiling windows at the city. Every head turned when Loki entered, including Thor's. He strode towards his little brother quickly.

"Loki."

"What is this about, brother?" Loki asked.

"I have come to ask you to return home once again, but..." He paused. "This time with more reason." He put his hand on Loki's shoulder and steered him away from everyone else so they could talk freely.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Loki asked, frustrated, as they walked. Thor didn't answer until they had stopped on the other side of the room, then he turned to Loki.

"You must come home to see Mother. I will not force you, but if you want to make things right, now is the time." Loki's face drained of color.

"Thor-"

"We don't know what to do. She's... sick. Nothing has worked. Father and I don't know how much more time she has. He agreed to your return because Mother wants to see you. Loki, you must come."

The decision was easy. As soon as Thor said they didn't know what to do, his knees had gone weak and he was shaking badly. Frigga was the only person aside from Thor whom he had truly loved on Asgard.

"I'll come with you." It didn't feel like his voice. It was like his mind was so far behind his body that he had said what he wanted before realizing it.

Thor smiled weakly.

"She will be glad to see you, brother. Let us make haste."

**********