Chapter 5

Enya led King to an old rock, by the looks of it. King was wary of leaving Nala behind, and kept looking back to where they had slept. He kept thinking about how close she was to having that child. He couldn't bear to break his promise to always stay by her side.

"King." Enya suddenly came to a halt, watching King with interest.

"Yes?" King looked at Enya, still guiltily in awe of her beauty.

"It was a long time ago, that the war started." Enya began. "Moon, the leader of this war, said that only the soul as kind as a dying bird will stop this war."

King didn't understand. It could have been anyone, and she picked him.

"It could have been anyone, I know," she continued, as if reading his thoughts. "But Salvadore gave you the map, so it has to be you."

Eyna seemed to look like she was grieving for something as she looked up into the sky, eyes clouded with memories.

"You took your time!"

King turned around to find a large green crocodile, impatient brown eyes glaring, yellow teeth, and the front right foot was twisted and black. Out of sheer panic, King's wings spread.

The crocodile started to laugh. "Surely you told him about me?" the crocodile managed to ask between gasps of laughter.

"Yes, I did." King was startled by the piercing look Enya gave him.

"I'm sorry. You must be Ixchel." King folded his wings, and looked away from Enya's glare.

Ixchel checked him, seeming to look for something. Silence passed through them for an awkward moment. Until suddenly the old rock began to glow a neon green.

Ixchel grunted. "It's time. Come here, King."

How does he know my name?

At a closer look at the rock, he could tell it was no ordinary rock. It had shockingly smooth sides, something most rocks didn't have. It was very large, a dark green, and had some sort of writing etched into it. Ixchel gave no explanation into what he was doing, he started to spin around the rock, chanting some strange words. King followed Ixchel's orders, and approached the rock. He felt a strange cool wind blowing through his fur, he wanted to run back to his den, away from all this. But he was glued in place, stuck by the absolute mystery of the stone and his curiosity. Memories of blood and death flooded his mind, but he still didn't move. He stayed in place, unaware of the fact that he was drifting into a pained sleep.

"Don't worry." Enya snapped him out from his daze. "This will hurt, but you have to put up with it."

King stared at her in confused silence. What will hurt? He didn't get it. Suddenly, Ixchel stabbed a stick into his leg. King screeched in pain. He tried to escape, but the cool breeze of the stone increased into a strong blazing storm and knocked him unconscious.